Are you the one who is unable to open the Excel file due to corruption? Looking what goes wrong with your Excel file and how to open corrupted Excel file then this article is for you, here I will show you easy ways to open corrupt Excel file without any backup.
MS Excel is a useful but complex application and easily gets corrupted due to a minor mistake. Well, recovering the corrupt Excel file data is easy if you are having a healthy backup of the Excel file.
But what if you are not having any backup, then it is quite complicated to open corrupt Excel file without any backup and recover corrupted Excel file data.
Well, to repair corrupted and damaged Excel workbook there are many ways that work for you to recover Excel file data. But first it is recommended to make use of the inbuilt Open and Repair tool, this works for you to repair and recover Excel file data.
So, below check out the detailed steps to open corrupted Excel file without any backup.
How to Open Corrupt Excel File without Backup
There are several unexpected reasons due to which the Excel file gets corrupted or damaged and in some cases, the user start getting the error message.
When the Excel file detects corruption on opening this automatically starts the File Recovery mode and try repairing the Excel workbook.
If File Recovery mode won’t start then the Excel file like XLS or XLSX corruption can be fixed by following certain easy fixes, so try the given tweaks one by one and restore Excel file.
Solution 1: Open and Repair Utility
You can make use of the inbuilt open and repair utility to repair damaged Excel workbook without any backup. Follow the steps to use the tool:
- Click MS Office > then Open
- And in the Open dialog box > select corrupt Excel file
- Click the arrow beside the Open tab > choose Open and Repair
- Now choose any one of the given options
- Click the Repair tab. (For recovering as much data as possible.)
- Or click Extract Data tab (You can use this to recover values and formulas from Excel file if the repair process fails to recover entire data.)
Hope this helps you to open the corrupt Excel file without any backup. But, in many cases, this fails to repair Excel file and recover corrupt Excel file data.
Solution 2: Utilize Excel Recovery Tool
You can make use of the Excel Recovery Tool, this helps you to open corrupt Excel file without any backup with ease. Not only this it is also capable to repair corrupt, damaged Excel (XLS and XLSX) files and fix Excel errors as well.
With this, you can recover chart, chart sheet, table, cell comment, image, cell comment, formula, and sort & filter and all data components from corrupt Excel file. It is easy to use and support all Excel versions.
Solution 3: Make use of the Excel AutoRecover and Autobackup Features
In Excel two features AutoRecover and AutoBackup are given for reducing the data loss chances in Excel files. So, here know how to use it to open corrupt Excel file without any backup.
- Excel AutoRecover – The Excel feature saves the Excel worksheets at a temporary location after some time. This saves the worksheets automatically and by default turned on for reducing the data loss chances. Well, the users can also create file recovery automatically during the intervals. However, in many cases it happens the AutoRecover feature stopped working.
- Excel AutoBackup – This Excel feature is also important that reduces data loss chances by creating the backup. Well, this is not completely safe but may help in some case to restore Excel data without any backup.
Solution 4: Recover Excel data from the TMP File
Microsoft is having AutoRecovery feature that helps you to automatically save Excel file as a temp file on Windows OS, if in case the office applications get corrupted or unable to open it then you can recover it.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, open the temp folder location > locate the Excel temp files with TMP extension.
For Windows 8/10 users:
Go to – C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles
For Windows 7 users:
Go to – C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\
- Locate temporary Excel files begin with “$” or “~” > end with “.TMP”.
- Then copy the files > save to another Safe location > and change the extension from .TMP to .XLS/.XLSX.
Now you can recover corrupted/damaged XLS/XLSX file easily.
Steps to Utilize Excel Recovery Tool:
The Way Forward:
MS Excel is highly prone to corruption a minor mistake make the whole file corrupt and you are unable to open corrupt Excel file.
In many cases the users are reporting they are facing issue to open corrupt Excel file without any backup.
Hope the article helps you to open corrupt Excel file and recover data without any backup.
So, make sure to follow the given manual steps carefully and if nothing works make use of the Excel Recovery software as this offer maximum advantages and easy recovery.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, then visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question