Are you the one struggling with the file is not a recognized Excel file error? If “YES” then definetaly you will find this post very helpful. Just check out the complete details like why you are getting this error and how to fix this file is not in recognizable format error.
We all know how useful Microsoft Excel is. This is a highly popular and worldwide used application of the Microsoft Office suite.
But this doesn’t mean this is PERFECT or you can say free from errors.
There are large numbers of Excel errors and issues that interrupt the users from time to time and put the entire work to a halt.
Among these, the file is not in a recognizable format Excel error is also quite a common one, which we are going to discuss in this blog.
Luckily, there are some best applicable fixes available to get rid of this file is not a recognized Excel file error. But first, check out the reasons why you are getting the Excel unrecognized file format error.
Best Software To Fix File Is Not A Recognized Excel File
The occurrence of this particular file is not in a recognizable format error is a clear sign that your Excel file is severely got damaged or corrupted. Such corrupted Excel files can be repaired with the use of the professional utility tool Excel Repair Tool. You have the option to download the free trial version of this tool.
Why To Choose Excel Repair Tool?
- This is an advanced repair tool that allows repairing corrupted, damaged, inaccessible Excel files and some sort of errors in Excel.
- Recover the lost, deleted, corrupted Excel file data without hampering its originality.
- You can recover chart, chart sheet, table, cell comment, image, cell comment, formula, and sort & filter and all data components from corrupt Excel files.
- It is easy to use and supports all Excel versions.
Steps To Utilize Excel Recovery Tool:
What’s This File Is Not In A Recognizable Format Error Means?
When Excel files are saved in some different formats or sometimes because of the non-availability of the recognized format Excel becomes inaccessible. This at the end result in the occurrence of the Excel file is not in a recognizable format error.
What Causes The File Is Not A Recognized Excel File Error?
The most common reason responsible for the error is the non-availability of the recognized format and the Excel files become inaccessible and pop-ups the error message. However, there are other reasons as well, here check them out:
- Due to the unexpected shutdown of the Excel application.
- Crashing of MS Office application.
- Change in the MS Excel version.
- Excel file corruption due to the virus or malware infection, extremely huge database, multiple locking of the Excel file at the same time
- The latest service pack may not be in use on your system.
So, these are some of the common reasons that highly responsible for this file is not in a recognizable format error. Now check the possible fixes to resolve this Excel does not recognize this file format error.
How To Fix This File Is Not In A Recognizable Format Excel Error?
Following are some best possible ways to fix file is not a recognized Excel file error. Let’s discuss each of these fixes in detail.
Fix 1: Utilize MOC.exe File
Make use of the MOC.exe file to convert the workbook and then open it in Excel.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Right-click on any XLS files in your system
- Then a new dialogue box appears> click on Choose another app to select it
- Now a number of applications appear that the OS thinks file format is compatible with.
- Don’t select any of the apps from the list
- Move to Look for another app on this PC at the path “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeVersion”
- You can see a file name MOC.exe, select it and click OK.
NOTE: MOC is popularly known as the Microsoft Open XML Converter. So, by following the above steps you will surely be able to open your corrupted .xls/.xlsx file.
Fix 2: Repair Corrupted Excel File
If the above-given solutions won’t work for you, then follow the given ways to fix Excel does not recognize this file format error:
Follow the steps:
- Open a new workbook > and go to the menu > Options
- Now you can see a number of tabs on the left side of options.
- And under the ‘Formulas’ tab > change the calculation in Manual mode
- Click OK > save the changes to the workbook.
- And browse the file that was corrupted
- Click on file > choose the option “Open and Repair” in the drop-down Menu.
- And as the file was imported > click on Repair (to recover data from the selected workbook)
Hope the trick helps you to fix Excel file corruption and this file is not in a recognizable format Excel error.
Fix 3: Disable Add-ins
Try opening the workbook in safe mode and then disabling the add-ins. Sometimes it is seen that due to confliction of the add-ins Excel file denies getting open.
Follow the given instructions:
- Click on start> all programs >accessories>run and then enter given command in open box > hit Excel /safe.
- Now in Excel disable the add-ins:
- Click on File menu > Options > Add-ins
- Go button beside Manage: Com-Add-in.
- And check if add-ins are listed there and clear the checkbox to disable them.
- Close the Office program > restart it.
- Disable all the add-in > restart Excel and repeat the above steps if still facing the error
It is estimated the given tricks work for you to fix file is not a recognized Excel file error. But if you are still struggling with the error then go with the software solution.
Try the given fixes to get rid of this file is not in a recognizable format Excel error.
Hope after following the manual solutions you are able to fix the error but if not then feel free to make use of the MS Excel Repair tool, to make your Excel file error-free.
Let us know whether this article helped you to get the answer to all your queries.