This post cover easy troubleshooting tricks to fix xls file format is not valid error.
In short and precise way I can tell you that “file format is not valid” error can easily be fixed by trying easy fixes like: changing Excel file extension, or using Excel inbuilt repair tool (open and repair) etc..
But if you are getting invalid file format error because of the corruption issue then you must try the professional’s recommended Excel repair software.
Read the complete post to catch detailed information about all these fixes…!
Best Software To Fix Excel File Format Is Not Valid Error:
The most probable reason behind the occurrence of this invalid file format error is that your Excel file is somehow got corrupted.
So to troubleshoot this corruption issue you must try the professional’s recommended MS Excel Repair Tool. This is a special tool specifically designed to repair any sort of issues, corrupted, damaged, and errors in the excel files so that one can easily continue to work in that file.
It can easily restore all corrupt Excel files and also recover everything which includes cell comments, charts, worksheet properties, and other related data.
The corrupted Excel file can be restored to a new blank Excel file. It has the ability to recover the complete data from the file and restore them even without modifying original formatting.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
How To Fix XLS File Format Is Not Valid Error?
To figure out XLS file format is not valid error here are some best manual fixes given. Using this not only you can rectify Excel file format error messages but also regain access to your workbook.
1# Best Software To Fix Excel File Format Is Not Valid Error
2# Change Excel File Extension
3# Use Open And Repair Inbuilt Utility
4# Revert Back To Previous Versions Of Excel File
5# Restore Unsaved Excel File Using AutoRecover
Method 1# Change Excel File Extension
Firstly you need to change the file extension of your Excel sheet. Sometimes, the problem occurs due to the unsupported file extension of your Excel file.
- Open your Excel application and then tap the “File” tab.
- Hit the “Export” option from the list of menus and select the “Change File Type” option.
- Change files extension to some other file format that is well supported by Excel.
- After that click on the “Save As” option to check whether your Excel file is opening or not.
- Go to My Computer > browse Tools > Folder Options > File Types.
- Make sure that the ‘XLSX’ extension is included there or not.
- If not then rename this file and change ‘.xlsx’ to ‘.xls’.
Method 2# Use Open And Repair Inbuilt Utility
If the above-given workaround won’t help you to fix invalid xls file format error, then make use of the inbuilt Open and Repair utility.
- Open the Excel workbook > go to File > Open option.
- Choose the file which you want to open but don’t make double-click on it.
- After that go to the ‘Open’ dialog box > select ‘Open and Repair‘ option from there. This process will fix minor corruption issues that occurred in the Excel file due to which you are getting .xls file format is not valid error.
- Now check the error is fixed or not.
Well in some cases it is found this inbuilt utility fails to repair the severely damaged file or errors so it might happen that still the error is not fixed. Then, in this case, you need to make use of Excel repair tool to fix the error automatically and recover data.
Method 3# Revert Back To Previous Versions Of Excel File
Using this method you can take your excel file to that version when you are not receiving any invalid xls file format error. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
Step 1. Make a right-click over the Excel file in which you are getting this file format is not valid error. After that from the pop-up menu choose the “Properties” option.
Open your “Previous Version” tab for listing out the entire previously saved Excel file version.
Select the recent version and then tap the “Restore” button for the spreadsheets recovery.
Method 4# Restore Unsaved Excel File Using AutoRecover
If due to this .xls file format is not valid error you have losted up your Excel file data then don’t get tensed. As there are few easy fixes available through which you can recover lost data in Excel.
This method is applicable only when the Excel autosave feature is turned on. It is a very helpful feature to recover unsaved Excel files.
- Open your Excel application and tap to File > Info tab.
- Just next to the Manage Versions, you will see the complete list of Excel file autosaved versions.
- Open the Excel file and at the top of the screen you will see a warning message regarding “recovered unsaved Excel file”. On which you have to tap “Restore”.
- Save your Excel file with some new names and keep the extension .xlsx.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Question)
Hope in this article you get the complete answer to your query related to the “.XLS file format is invalid” error. Here we have tried our best to provide a reliable solution to fix the error. If the manual solution won’t work to fix xls file format is not valid error then go with the software solution.