Number of MS Excel users is continuously falling in complicated state of affairs to contract with the corruption issues of the MS Excel files and they even come across things such as how to fix the corrupt spreadsheet excel file in order to get their data from it? These spreadsheets are used mainly for the official purpose and hence stored data are extremely important files. If any of these files are corrupted then the data in it becomes completely inaccessible and user may get irritated and annoyed from the situation.
MS Excel and its usage
Microsoft facilitates effectual methods of applications which are known as MS Office. In the group of office you have a lot of functional applications such as MS Excel, Access, MS Word, MS PPT, MS Outlook, Office Publisher etc. All of the programs find its application on several areas from the perspective of an individual or even by a professional. Like for students, professors, small and large scale organizations, etc.
How to Detect Excel File Corruption
Detecting Excel file corruption is not so difficult for the users. Below mentioned are some of the situations where you can easily detect that the excel file is corrupted and you may no longer able to access it.
- Excel Crashes Randomly: The most common warning every Excel user faces: “Excel has stopped working” or “Excel has crashed”. If AutoRecover feature is enabled then it becomes very easy to recover the entire workbook. Sometimes, the excel file crashes randomly but they were usually created in other version and migrated and repaired in another version.
- Detected on File Open: Most of the time, the corrupted files are detected when Excel attempts to open a file. When excel file is corrupted, it will display a corruption and repair warnings like:
- “Excel cannot open the file “, because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.
- “Can’t find project or library. Microsoft Excel is restarting...”
- The workbook cannot be opened or repaired by Microsoft Excel because it is corrupt.
- Multiple custom UI parts were found in the file. Only one part is expected.
Manual Steps to repair the corrupt excel workbook
The following methods may help you to rescue data that might otherwise be lost. so try it…
- On your excel workbook, go to the File tab and click to Open option.
- In the open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook that you want to open.
- Click the arrow next to the Open tab and then hit Open and Repair Option.
- You need to do one of the following thing:
- Click to the Repair option in order to recover as much of workbook data as possible.
- Or else click Extract Data option in order to extract values and formulas from the workbook when an attempt to repair the workbooks is not successful.
Recover data from a corrupted workbook
If any one of the below mentioned method is get unsuccessful, then you can try another one. You can also take help of the third party recovery software in order to recover workbook data that can’t be recover using these manual methods. But before losing hope try each and every possible solution:
Here are solution:
Revert the workbook to the last saved version:
If you are editing a worksheet and the workbook becomes corrupted before you save your changes, you can recover the original worksheet by reverting it to the last saved version.
To revert workbook to the last saved version, do the following things:
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
- Double click the name of the workbook that you have open in excel.
- Click to the Yes option to re-open the workbook.
Note: this step will revert the workbook to the last saved version of the workbook. Any changes that may have caused the workbook to get corrupted have been discarded.
Save the workbook in SYLK (Symbolic Link) format
Save the workbook in the SYLK format, you may need to filter the corrupt elements. SYLK format is mainly used to remove printer corruption.
To saving the workbook in SYLK format, do the following.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then point to the arrow next to Save As.
- In the Save as type list, click SYLK (Symbolic Link), and then click Save.
Note: this step will save only the active sheet in the workbook.
- If you get an error message regarding that the selected file type doesn’t support workbooks that contain multiple sheets, click to the OK option to save only the active sheet.
- If a message displays that the workbook contain features that are not compatible with the SYLK format then click yes.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Close.
- If a message prompts you to save the changes that you made then click “YES”.
- Click the Microsoft office button and then click open.
- Select the .slk file that you saved, and then click Open.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then press Save As option.
- In the Save as type box, click Excel Workbook.
- In the File Name box, type new name for the workbook to create a copy without replacing the original workbook and then click to the save option.
To recover the data when you cannot open the workbook in Excel, do one of the following:
Use external references to link to the corrupted workbook
- If you want to retrieve data and not formulas or values from the workbook, then you can use external references to link to the corrupted workbook.
- To use external references to link to the corrupted workbook, try the following steps:
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Open.
- In the Look in box, select the folder that contains the corrupted workbook and then click Cancel.
- Under the New Blank option, select the Blank Document option.
- In cell A1 of the new workbook, type= File Name!A1, where File Name is the name of the corrupted workbook file and then press Enter.
- Click the workbook and then click ok.
- If the select sheet dialog box appears, select the appropriate sheet and then click OK.
- Select cell A1. On the home tab, in the clipboard group, click copy.
- Select the area that is approximately of the same size as the range of the cells that contain data in the corrupted workbook.
- On the Home tab, in the clipboard group, click paste.
- With the range of cells still selected, on the Home Tab in the clipboard group and copy again.
- On the Home tab in the clipboard group, click the arrow below Paste and then click Paste Special.
- UnderPaste, select Values, and then click OK.
About Microsoft Excel Repair Tool
Have you ever found an excel file that has been corrupted or become inaccessible and so you are unable to use or open it? If you don’t have backup of an excel file then it would be very irritating for you.
Microsoft Excel Repair Tool is a special tool which is specifically designed to repair such kind of files so that one can easily continue to work in that file. This repair tool searches for .xls file in the folder specified by the user. The file which is found to be corrupted will create a preview in the Excel Repair window. The interface is very simple, with a large tool bar of buttons to add files or folder to the application. With this software, you can repair your corrupted excel file. It can easily restore all corrupt excel file and also recover everything which includes cell comments, charts, worksheet properties and other related data. The corrupted excel file can be restored to a new blank excel file. It has the ability to recover the complete data from the file and restore them even without modifying original formatting.
Steps to solve MS excel error:
Step 1: To start the process, download and install MS Excel repair Tool and then select “OK” button.
Step 2: By clicking on “Select file”button, select the corrupt .xls or .xlsx file. In order to search a .xls or .xlsx file in specific folder click on “Select folder”. In a particular drive in order to search a .xls or .xlsx file click on the “Search file” button.
Step 3: After selecting the corrupt file click on “Scan” button to begin the scanning process.
Step 4: You can see the scanning process is in progress
Step 5: After the scanning is finished, you can preview your corrupt file from the right panel.
Step 6: Hit on the “repair” button to begin the repair process.
Step 7: Select the desired location to save the repaired excel file and after that hit on “OK”.
So in this way, using the above-mentioned steps you can easily repair and recover your excel file with MS Excel Repair Tool.