This blog mainly emphasizes on very common Excel error i.e “Excel The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly”.
Read the complete post to know how to fix this Excel Application Was Unable To Start error.
Why Does Excel Application Was Unable To Start Correctly Error Occur?
This Excel error message implies that the application was facing difficulty to execute any task and it won’t start correctly. But don’t get worried because it is possible to fix this application error by following the fixes mentioned in this blog.
Before that let’s know what are the reasons responsible for “Excel Application Was Unable To Start Correctly” Error.
- The very first reason is the missing or corruption of the DLL files which is responsible for the proper execution of the Excel program.
- Deletion or Overwriting of DLL File meanwhile program uninstalling or due to incompatible hardware (RAM, HDD), malware intrusion or corruption of windows registry.
- Application Error 0xc0000142 also arises due to malfunctioning or corruption of the Excel program.
To fix corrupt Excel workbok, we recommend this tool:
This software will prevent Excel workbook data such as BI data, financial reports & other analytical information from corruption and data loss. With this software you can rebuild corrupt Excel files and restore every single visual representation & dataset to its original, intact state in 3 easy steps:
- Download Excel File Repair Tool rated Excellent by Softpedia, Softonic & CNET.
- Select the corrupt Excel file (XLS, XLSX) & click Repair to initiate the repair process.
- Preview the repaired files and click Save File to save the files at desired location.
How To Fix Excel Application Was Unable To Start Correctly Error?
1# Run Excel Application In Compatibility Mode
The very first solution that you must try to fix Excel application error is running the application in compatibility mode and always starts the application as administrator.
- Make a right-click on file in which you are encountering Excel application was unable to start correctly.
- Tap the Properties option and hit the Compatibility tab.
- Now choose the option “Run Compatibility Troubleshooter”. Now check whether the application starts working correctly or not. If yes then save the settings if not then continue.
- Put a check across Run this program in compatibility mode option.
- Choose the OS to which the driver is available.
- Put a checkmark across the Run this program as an administrator present under the Privilege Level.
- Hit the Apply option. Now check whether your Excel application is still showing the Error 0xc0000142.
2# Run SFC (System File Checker)
Run the sfc /scannow command for scanning all the protected system files and for replacing the incompatible Microsoft versions with compatible ones.
- Make a right-click on the Windows button.
- Tap to the Command Prompt (admin).
- In the opened dialog box hit the Yes option and this will open your command prompt with the admin right.
- Just Type sfc /scannow in the opened command prompt screen and let the process to get over.
3# Fix Excel Corruption Issue
In most of the cases, this kind of error message starts coming due to the occurrence of some corruption issue in the Excel program. To deal with such a situation you need to try this professional recommended MS Excel Repair Tool to fix common Excel errors.
This is the best tool to repair all sorts of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. This tool allows to easily restore all corrupt Excel files including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data.
It is a unique tool to repair multiple Excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location. It is easy to use and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac operating systems. This supports the entire Excel version.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
4# Activate Windows Firewall
- Tap your system’s Start Button.
- Hit the Control Panel option.
- Within the control panel choose the Windows Firewall icon.
- Now from the left sidebar, choose the Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Within the private and public location network settings choose the Turn on Windows Firewall option.
- Tap the OK button.
Windows firewall works great in preventing hackers and malware from achieving access to your PC from the network.
So if your Excel application is facing such unable to start application error due to malware intrusion then it will be easily fixed.
5# Update Windows OS
- Hit the Windows Start option.
- Tap to the Control Panel.
- Choose the Windows Update option.
- Hit the Change settings.
Ensure that your Windows application is up-to-date. Connect your PC with the internet at least once a day and avoid working offline for a longer period of time.
Follow the instructions very carefully mainly when a critical or security update released by the Microsoft application. Download and install any update very carefully on your PC.
- Within the Important updates choose the Install updates automatically (recommended) option. Within the Install new updates option choose Everyday option.
- Set the time when your PC is ON and the Internet is connected.
- For keeping yourself one step ahead of hackers just enable automatic updates on Windows 10.
Follow the step to install all the latest updates on your PC:
- Hit the Check for updates.
- Tap the Install updates button. (Well this option only appears when there is some pending windows update available).
Chances are also that Excel application unable to start errors has occurred due to no update for a long time.
6# Use Windows Recovery
- Go to your system Start menu.
- Now tap on the Control Panel.
- Choose the Recovery option.
- Tap to the Open System Restore and be guided by the Windows system prompts option.
Just use the Windows Recovery option for restoring up your PC to an earlier point before the time you have started encountering this “Application was unable to start correctly” (0xc0000005) error.
If you select you may get replaced with whatever is already present on your PC and reinstall Windows.
It is found that System restores fixes up many types of system problems, among which “ Application was unable to start correctly” is also one such error.
7# Remove Bad Random Access Memory(RAM)
Sometimes user starts getting this unable to start application error due to extra Random Access Memory (RAM). You must have added extra RAM to your PC for better PC performance but it might be causing this “Application was unable to start correctly” error message.
For getting yourself out of this issue, simply remove the RAM. After that restart your PC.
All the above-mentioned fixes will surely gonna help you to fix Application was unable to start correctly error. So without wasting any more time just try all the fixes. If you are still having any Excel-related issues then let me know by posting in the comment section.