If you guys are also struggling hard with your corrupt xlsx/xls file and looking for some easy tricks to repair XLSX file or to recover XLS file. In that case, i must tell you that you are landed on the right page.
As in this article, you will get detailed information about xls/xlsx file corruption. Apart from this, I will also share some best applicable solution to repair and recover xls/xlsx files.
To repair & recover XLS/XLSX files, we recommend this tool:
This software will prevent Excel workbook data such as BI data, financial reports & other analytical information from corruption and data loss. With this software you can rebuild corrupt Excel files and restore every single visual representation & dataset to its original, intact state in 3 easy steps:
- Download Excel File Repair Tool rated Excellent by Softpedia, Softonic & CNET.
- Select the corrupt Excel file (XLS, XLSX) & click Repair to initiate the repair process.
- Preview the repaired files and click Save File to save the files at desired location.
Just go through all the listed solutions to fix corrupt xls/xlsx file on your own.
Best Software For Xlsx/Xls File Recovery:
Well, to repair and recover XLSX/XLS file I have so many manual solutions to share with you all. But if you guys are looking for some effortless and guaranteed solution of xlsx/xls file recovery then try Excel File Repair software. It is the best tool for the recovery of corrupt Excel workbook data and to avoid permanent data loss situations.
To fix corrupt XLS and XLSX file you can go with this professional recommended Excel File Repair software. This is the best tool that helps you to repair and recover corrupted, damaged and inaccessible data in XLS and XLSX file.
This is a unique tool and is capable to restore entire data including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other data without doing any modification. It is easy to use and support all Excel versions.
Why To Choose Excel File Repair Software?
- Does easy recovery of all your excel workbook tables, sorts, and filters, chart sheets, formulas, cell comments, charts, images, etc.
- Completely Preserves entire worksheet properties like freeze panes, split, gridlines, formula bar and cell formatting
- Repair single and multiple XLSX/ XLS files in one go.
- Fix all types of Excel corruption errors
- Well support for all MS Excel versions: 2019/ 2016/ 2013/ 2010/ 2007/ 2003 / 2000
- Shows real-time preview of all the recoverable items from your corrupt xlsx/xls files before starting up the recovery procedure.
- Well, compatibility and support for both Mac/Windows.
Steps To Utilize Excel File Repair Software:
About XLSX/XLS File Corruption:
Undoubtedly MS Excel is a very useful and powerful application of the Microsoft Office suite. But there is also a fact this is highly prone to corruption and a minor mistake can take over your entire Excel file with ease.
Excel file corruption is a very frustrating issue as this ruins many hours’ works in just a blink of the eye and leaves completely helpless.
Excel files come in two extensions, XLS and XLSX. The XLS is created on the Excel version prior to 2007 however the XLSX is created on Excel 2007 and onward.
And knowing which Excel file format you are using will help you to easily repair corrupted xlsx/xls files.
How To Repair and Recover XLS/XLSX Files?
Here I have sorted down some best ways to fix corrupt XLS/XLSX files for free. Follow to know, how simple it could be to repair corrupt xlsx file and recover xls/xlsx file data.
But before moving further take a quick glance over XLSX/XLS Recovery solutions:
Method #1: Try Excel Inbuilt Option “Open and Repair”
Microsoft provides the inbuilt Open and Repair utility to scan and repair xlsx file. So, follow the ways to run the tool:
- Click on “Open” in the File Menu
- Then from the list, select corrupted XLSX file
- Now, from the drop-down list of the “Open” tab > choose “Open and Repair”
- Lastly, click on the “repair” button to repair the Excel file.
I hope your corrupt XLSX and XLS file is repaired now but if unfortunately the Excel file is still corrupted or won’t recover any data from corrupt XLSX file then click the second option Extract Data.
It is estimated now the XLSX or XLS file is repaired but if not then try the second method.
Method #2: Try Microsoft Office Tools
Try making use of the Microsoft Office tools to fix corrupted XLSX file and recover XLSX file.
Follow the given instructions:
- Go to Start menu > choose All Programs
- Next select Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools.
- And choose Microsoft Office Application Recovery.
- Then in the resulting dialog box > choose Microsoft Office Excel
- Click on Recover Application, this may take a couple of minutes
- Then respond the message Send Report To Microsoft prompt
The recovery tool closes Excel file and restart it and shows a list of recovered corrupted XLSX files
Now check if the corrupt XLSX file is repaired or not.
Method #3: Recover Data Only
I hope the above-given methods help you to repair corrupted XLSX/ XLS files. But if not then another option is to try recovering data without the formulas and calculated values from the workbook by making use of the external references (to link Excel workbook) as:
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, click on File > and Open.
- Now move to the folder that contains corrupted XLSX file
- Right-click on file name of corrupted XLS file > click Copy > hit Cancel.
- Click File button > choose New.
- Now under New > select Blank workbook. In the first cell (A1), type =!A1 > hit Enter.
- Now choose corrupted XLSX > in the Update Values dialogue (if appears) > click OK.
- Choose the relevant sheet in the Select Sheet dialogue (if appears) > click OK.
- Now choose the cell A1 > click Home > Copy.
- Select (start from the cell A1) an area equal to that of the data in the original workbook.
- Click on Home > now Paste.
- Next click on Home > select Copy again (on the same selection of cells)
- Lastly, click on Home > then on the below arrow Paste > click Values (under Paste Values).
Well, by pasting values, the links to the corrupted XLSX workbook are removed and only the data is left.
Method #4: Restore Deleted/Lost Excel From Recycle Bin
If your xls/xlsx file is accidentally got deleted then the easiest option is to recover xls or xlsx from recycle bin.
- Go to the Recycle Bin folder and calmly search for your deleted xlsx/xls files.
- Once you get it to make a right-click on it and choose the Restore.
- You will see that your deleted xlsx/xls file will be restored on the original location from where it was deleted.
Well, it’s good if you get your deleted xls/xlsx file in the recycle bin. But if unfortunately, your deleted xlsx file is not in Recycle then read our helpful post on 5 Quick Fixes To Recover Deleted Excel File Not In Recycle Bin.
Method #5: Recover Xlsx/Xls file From .Tmp Folder
As per the MS Office data security protection policy entire of its application has AutoRecovery feature.
If you keep this option ON in your MS Excel application, it will make a temp folder for saving up all your saved or unsaved data in temporary files.
You can consider this option as your 2nd chance if find nothing in the recycle bin.
Follow the below steps to recover xlsx file or retrieve xls file data from the temp folder.
- Search for the temp files having the same name as your lost Excel file along with the .tmp extension.
If you are a Windows 10/8/8.1 users then make a search in this location:
If you are a Windows 7/XP users then make a search in this location:
- Search for the temporary Excel files starting with special characters “~” or “$” and ending with extension “.TMP”.
- Once you get the temporary Excel file of your work just copy it and save it to some other safe location. Don’t forget to change the extension of these .TMP to .XLSX or .XLS.
FAQ Related To XLS/XLSX File Repair And Recovery:
The Way Forward:
The MS Excel file corruption is a very miserable situation so make sure to follow the best preventive methods to avoid XLS/XLSX files from getting corrupted.
Also, make sure to follow the backup of your data regularly to avoid data loss.
Despite this, read the complete article carefully to fix XLS/XLSX file corruption and perform easy recovery of XLS/XLSX file.
Follow the given steps carefully and if you are a novice user then make use of the automatic Excel File Repair tool to repair XLSX file or to recover XLS file data easily.