Are you the one getting error message “There was a problem sending the command to the program Excel” in Windows 8/7? Then this article is for you, here check out the complete information about the error and how to fix Excel error occurred when sending commands to the program
Microsoft Excel is undoubtedly very important application of Microsoft Office suite, but this is also very crucial and a small mistake corrupts the entire Excel workbook and starts showing error messages.
The Excel problem sending command error appears while trying to open web links from an email program or internet links.
Commonly the error is related to Office Package and appears while trying to open the Excel documents created in older Office versions. However, there are other reasons also that causes the Excel error when sending commands to the program.
Possible Reasons Leading to the Error:
The error mainly occurs when you try to open an MS Excel file with double click on while opening it with a right click.
- Due to making use of the third part add-ins/ applications
- Corruption or defects in the Excel application
- Adding too many add-ins to the program and as well the corrupt add-in
- Due to hard disk failure
- Corruption of the Microsoft Office Program
These are some of the common reasons responsible for the Excel error there was a problem sending the command to the program Excel 2013.
How to Fix Excel Error Occurred When Sending Commands to the Program
Method 1: Utilize Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
- Open MS Excel 2010 and click on Option as it is shown in the image below.
- Go to Advanced tab option and go to Bottom and in the Search Box type in “Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)”
- And then uncheck the Box.
If you are using an old version of MS Office 2003, then go to Tools and then go to Options. Then go to General tab and then uncheck the box “Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)”
You May Also Read:
- How to fix the runtime error 57121in MS Excel 2013?
- Fix Microsoft Excel Error Code 0x800A03EC
- Repair KB00804 – VBA Errors in Microsoft Excel?
- Fix Excel Error “Invalid XLS File Format” On Windows OS
Method 2: Disable “Run as Administrator” option:
It is found that Run as administrator option causes the error. So, here it is recommended to disable the run as administrator option.
Follow the steps to disable it:
- Right-click on Excel icon > choose properties
- Choose the Compatibility tab > uncheck the option “Run as administrator”.
- Click Ok to apply the changes to fix the error.
Method 3: Uncheck Compatibility Mode and Privilege Level
Now look for the shortcuts of Excel files and see that the boxes under compatibility mode i.e, Run this program in compatibility for and run this program as an administrator are unchecked. If it is not unchecked or if you do not have any idea how to uncheck it then follow the below-mentioned methods to uncheck them:
- Just right click the excel shortcut icon and then click on Properties option.
- Then go to Compatibility Mode tab.
- Now uncheck both the boxes “this program in compatibility” and “run this program as an administrator”.
If by following the above method does not fix your issue then follows the below solution:
Microsoft has also launched Fix It solutions to help fix this problem:
- For Windows 8 user:
Download Microsoft Fix it 20074.
- For Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and for other windows users
Download Microsoft Fix it 50392 to fix this problem.
If you are encountering this error messages while using Microsoft Excel file, the use Microsoft Fix It KB21149. This kit will automatically uncheck the boxes ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) setting.
Method 4: Uninstall Office Viewer:
It is found that the Office Viewer is causing the issue. So if you have installed Office Viewer additionally to Microsoft Office, then you need to uninstall it.
It is estimated that if you are using an older version of Office Viewer with a newer version of MS Office it will cause the Excel error or issues while opening the Excel file.
Method 5: Check the COM Add-ins:
Try disabling the COM Add-ins in many cases this is causing the issue to the users. So check if you have installed the COM add-ins then try disabling it.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Open Excel file > File >Options
- Click on Add-ins > click Manage at the bottom > choose COM Add-ins and hit the GO button.
- Then restart the Excel file and check if this helps you to solve the error.
However if still, you are getting the error then repeat the above steps > choose different Add-ins.
After that uncheck all the Add-ins and check if the issue is resolved. If Yes, then check which add-in cause the same issue and remove the particular add-in.
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
If you are still facing the problem and you are receiving the same error message “Problem Sending The Command To The Program”, then you can try to fix this error by using MS Excel Repair software, as it is specifically designed to fix any kinds of error messages of Excel file. No matter which Windows operating system you are using it is compatible with all Windows OS including Windows 8.1/8. S
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
Hope the given solutions works for you to repair “There was a problem sending the command to the program” Excel 2013 error.
Apart from that, it is always recommended to have a backup of the Excel files to overcome the unexpected situations just like the above by restoring the original file.
There are plenty of errors and facing the situations like this is usual. Well, there are plenty of solutions that help you to repair and recover the corrupt Excel file.
But this totally depends on the complexity of the issue.
Additionally, if you have any questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question