Struggling with the Excel file corruption, looking to repair corrupt XLSX Excel file, then this article is for you here check out the complete information to fix and recover data from corrupt Excel Workbook.
Undoubtedly MS Excel is a very useful and powerful application of the Microsoft Office suite. But there is also a fact this is highly prone to corruption and a minor mistake can take over your entire Excel file with ease.
Excel file corruption is a very frustrating issue as this ruins many hours’ works in just a blink of the eye and leave completely helpless.
Excel files come in two extensions, XLS and XLSX. The XLS is created on the Excel version prior to 2007 however the XLSX is created on Excel 2007 and onward.
And knowing which Excel file format you are using will help you to easily repair corrupted Excel file.
However, there are ways that help you to fix corrupt Excel XLS/XLSX file and in this article check out the complete possible ways to repair corrupt Excel file and recover entire data stored in it.
But before moving further check what makes the XLSX file corrupt.
Why the Excel (XLS and XLSX) File Gets Corrupted?
Well, there are many unexpected reasons due to which XLS and XLSX file gets corrupted. Here check out some of the common reasons responsible for Excel file corruption and causes errors.
- Unexpected System Shutdown: This is a very common reason that makes the Excel file corrupted. If your system unexpectedly shutdown then this makes the open XLSX file corrupt.
- Hard Drives: With time the hard drive may develop a bad sector. Now if the Excel files fall in that sector, then, in that case, it may become corrupt.
- Software or Hardware Malfunction: The software incompatibility or hardware malfunction the Excel file may get corrupted or become inaccessible.
- Virus: Excel file may become corrupt if your computer is infected with the virus.
- Large Excel File: If your Excel file is very large or store plenty of calculation and data, this might get corrupted and you can’t able to open the Excel file.
Now try the given methods to repair corrupt XLSX Excel file and recover XLS file data.
How to Repair Excel File (XLS & XLSX files)
Well, to fix corrupted XLSX file you can try a number of solutions given below, but first, make use of the automatic Excel File Repair Tool and after that check some of the alternate solutions to repair corrupt XLSX Excel file and recover XLS file data.
Utilize the Excel Recovery Tool
To fix corrupt XLS and XLSX file make use of the professional recommended Excel Recovery Tool. This is the best tool that helps you to repair and recover corrupted, damaged and inaccessible data in XLS and XLSX file.
This is a unique tool and is capable to restore entire data including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other data without doing any modification. It is easy to use and support all Excel versions.
Alternate Solutions to Fix Corrupt Excel (XLS/XLSX) File
#1: Make Use of Open and Repair Tool
Microsoft provides the inbuilt Open and Repair utility to scan and repair corrupt XLSX Excel file. So, follow the ways to run the tool:
- Click on “Open” in the File Menu
- Then from the list, select corrupted XLSX file
- Now, from the drop-down list of the “Open” tab > choose “Open and Repair”
- Lastly, click on the “repair” button to repair the Excel file.
Hope the corrupt XLSX and XLS file is repaired now but if the Excel file is still corrupted or won’t recover any data from corrupt XLSX file then click second option Extract Data.
It is estimated now the XLSX or XLS file is repaired but if not then try the second method.
#2: Try Microsoft Office Tools
Try making use of the Microsoft Office tools to fix corrupted XLSX file and recover XLSX file.
Follow the given instructions:
- Go to Start menu > choose All Programs
- Next select Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools.
- And choose Microsoft Office Application Recovery.
- Then in the resulting dialog box > choose Microsoft Office Excel
- Click on Recover Application, this may take a couple of minutes
- Then respond the message Send Report To Microsoft prompt
The recovery tool closes Excel file and restart it and shows a list of recovered corrupted XLSX files
Now check if the corrupt XLSX file is repaired or not.
#3: Recover Data Only
Hope the above-given methods help you to repair corrupted XLSX/ XLS files. But if not then another option is to try recovering data without the formulas and calculated values from the workbook by making use of the external references (to link Excel workbook) as:
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, click on File > and Open.
- Now move to the folder that contains corrupted XLSX file
- Right-click on file name of corrupted XLS file > click Copy > hit Cancel.
- Click File button > choose New.
- Now under New > select Blank workbook. In the first cell (A1), type =!A1 > hit Enter.
- Now choose corrupted XLSX > in the Update Values dialogue (if appears) > click OK.
- Choose relevant sheet in the Select Sheet dialogue (if appears) > click OK.
- Now choose the cell A1 > click Home > Copy.
- Select (start from the cell A1) an area equal to that of the data in the original workbook.
- Click on Home > now Paste.
- Next click on Home > select Copy again (on same selection of cells)
- Lastly, click on Home > then on the below arrow Paste > click Values (under Paste Values).
Well, by pasting values, the links to the corrupted XLSX workbook is removed and only the data is left.
It is estimated after following the given fixes you are able to repair and recover corrupt XLS/XLSX file easily.
Steps to Utilize Excel Recovery Tool:
The Way Forward:
The MS Excel file corruption is a very miserable situation so make sure to follow the best preventive methods to avoid XLS/XLSX files from getting corrupted.
Also, make sure to follow the backup of your data regularly to avoid data loss.
Despite this read the complete article carefully to fix the XLS/XLSX file corruption and recover the entire data stored in it.
Follow the given steps carefully and if you are a novice user than make use of the automatic Excel File Repair tool to repair corrupt Excel XLSX file and recover corrupt Excel file data easily.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, then visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question