Recently many Excel users reported they are troubled with the Excel online not working error on the latest Windows OS.
As per the users, while trying to open the Excel online file on their browsers, they receive the error message Excel for web not working. After researching, we determined that the problem will likely appear if anyone edits the Excel online workbook and leaves the file open without making changes for up to 6 or more hours.
However, there are other reasons; below, look at some common culprits.
To recover corrupted Excel file data, we recommend this tool:
This software will prevent Excel workbook data such as BI data, financial reports & other analytical information from corruption and data loss. With this software you can rebuild corrupt Excel files and restore every single visual representation & dataset to its original, intact state in 3 easy steps:
- Try Excel File Repair Tool rated Excellent by Softpedia, Softonic & CNET.
- Select the corrupt Excel file (XLS, XLSX) & click Repair to initiate the repair process.
- Preview the repaired files and click Save File to save the files at desired location.
What Causes Excel Online Not Working Problem?
- Browser issues: If there are any bugs in your browser or the corrupted cache data present in the browser, this can make Excel online not open or a working problem.
- Too big File Size: If the size of the file you are trying to open is too big in size, in that case, you are unable to open the online Excel file
- Workbook settings: The wrongly configured Excel workbook settings are likely to cause a problem.
How to Fix Excel Online Not Working Error?
Solution 1 – Try Opening Excel with a Different Browser
There can be issues with your browsers, such as bugs and server issues. So, you try opening Excel online with a different browser and check if it helps you to solve the issue. Many reliable and trustworthy browsers, like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge for Windows, and Safari for macOS, are available online.
So switch to a different browser and check whether the error still appears.
Solution 2 – Clear Browser History and Cache
The temporary bugs like cache data or browser history available in your browser can also cause errors. In this situation, clearing the browser history and cache files may work for you to solve the issue. To do so, follow the steps given:
- Launch the Chrome browser and click on the 3 dots at the top-right.
- Now click on the Settings option and then click on the Privacy and Security option available on the left side.
- Then click on the Clear browsing data option and then click on the Clear data.
- Now restart the browser and check if the issue is resolved or not.
- Launch the Edge browser and click on the 3 dots at the top-right.
- Now click on the Settings option and then click on 3 lines available at the top-left.
- Then click on the Privacy, search, and services.
- Click the Choose what to clear button under the Clear browsing data section.
- Then change the time range to all time and click on the Clear now button to clear the cache files.
- Now restart the browser and check if the Excel online not working issue is resolved or not.
- Launch the browser and click on the 3 dots at the top right.
- Now click on the Settings option and then click on Privacy and Security.
- Then click on the Cookies and site data option and the Clear Data button to clear the cache files.
Now after clearing the cache, try to open the Excel online file and check if it starts working.
Solution 3 – Save the File Again to Drive
If you are still unable to access your files, try to download them and open them with the desktop application of Excel.
Now upload the file again in OneDrive and check if you can access the file with Excel online.
Solution 4 – Try Using Other Applications
You can also try other applications to access the Excel files like WPS office and Google sheets. You can also access the files online, and Google cloud storage is much better than the competition.
Solution 5 – Set Default File Opening Behavior
Users in different forums reported that changing the file opening behavior could solve the issue. So, it is worth trying and checking if it helps solve the issue. To do so, follow the steps given:
- Navigate to the document library where you have saved the file.
- Now click on the library.
- Below the Settings section, click on the Library settings option.
- Then navigate to the Document Library settings page.
- Now click on the Advanced settings.
- Then below Advanced settings, click on the Opening document in the browser.
- Now click on the Open in the browser
- Then click OK.
Solution 6 – Check if the File is too Large.
If you are trying to access large-size files with Excel online, it can cause trouble as Excel online is not compatible with big-sized files, and it will take an eternity to open the file, which can also cause the issue.
So, in this case try splitting the file into more than one to lower its size and then try working in the Excel Online file.
And then try opening a file that is small in size, or you can try Excel desktop for bigger files because if you try loading them with Excel online, they will always show prompts like loading, please wait, etc.
Best Way to Repair Corrupted Excel Workbook
If, meanwhile, performing the task or fixing Excel errors, unfortunately, you lose your Excel data, then you can use Excel File Recovery Tool.
This professional tool is best for easily repairing and recovering corrupted, damaged, or inaccessible Excel files. This unique tool is used to repair multiple excel files in one repair cycle and recover the entire data in the preferred location.
It can fix Excel file corruption issues and various errors frequently encountered by users. It allows us to easily restore entire data, including the charts, worksheet properties, cell comments, and other data. You can try this tool’s free demo version.
Steps to Utilize Excel File Recovery Tool:
So, this is all about the Excel online not working problem; here, I tried my best to list the best possible fixes to solve the error.
Follow the solutions listed and check which one works for you.