Are you the one facing issue while opening XLSM file in Excel 2013, then this article is for you? Here check out the complete information about XLSM file and how to fix XLSM file won’t open in Excel 2013 issue.
An XLSM file is an Excel file extension; it is an Excel macro-enabled workbook file.
Or in other words, XLSM file is a spreadsheet that includes macros written in (VBA) Visual Basic for Applications language.
The XLSM file is similar to an XLSX file, but the only difference is that XLSM files accomplish embedded macros programmed in the VBA language.
Well like other Excel file extension this is also very useful and makes the task easy for the users. But in many cases, the users are found reporting the XLSM files won’t open in Excel 2013.
This is a common problem and not only limited to Excel 2013 even the other Excel versions like Excel 2010 and 2016 users are also found reporting about the Excel XLSM files can’t open.
Here in this article, check out the fixes to resolve Excel XLSM files won’t open in Excel 2013 error.
How to Fix Can’t Open XLSM File in Excel 2013
Well, the XLSM files possibly stores and execute harmful, malicious code through macros. So, it is very important to be cautious while opening the executable XLSM file format and especially if you received it through email or downloaded from the third party websites.
Please Note: It is advised to avoid opening the workbook directly from the email message. First, save it to a folder on the hard disk then open the saved workbook.
Now check out the below-given ways to open XLSM file in Excel.
Solution 1: Add a New Location
Here it is recommended to add a new location in Excel for opening the XLSM files.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, close the workbook
- Now choose File > Options > in the navigation pane choose ‘Trust Center’
- Click ‘Trust Center Settings…’
- Then choose ‘Trusted Locations’ > click ‘Add new location…’
- And enter the folder path where you saved the workbook. (utilize browse button to locate it)
- Click OK > reopen the workbook.
Now check if the Excel XLSM file won’t open in Excel 2013 issue is resolved or not. If not then try the second solution.
- 5 Solutions to Fix “Excel Stuck at Opening File 0%” Performance Issue
- Top Ways to Recover Macros from Corrupted Excel File Effectively
- 6 Reliable Fixes to Recover 0 Bytes Corrupted Excel Files
Solution 2: Uninstall the Updates
It is confirmed by the experts that certain updates are causing the issue. So check whether you have installed the recently launched updates:
- KB 3114736
- Or KB 3114717
- KB 3114734
If you did, then simply uninstall them and after that check cannot open XLSM file in excel 2013 is resolved or not.
Solution 3: Reset File Associations
Try resetting the file associations this worked for many Excel users to fix the issue.
Follow the steps:
- Go to Control Panel > click Default Programs
- Now click on Set your default programs > click Excel
- Click Choose default for this program.
- Next on the Set Program Associations screen > click Select All > click Ok
Solution 4: Open XLSM File
Well, if none of the above-given solutions works for you then tries to simply open the Excel XLSM file through the open button.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, launch Microsoft Office Excel 2013
- And click File > Open from the menu for opening the Open window.
- Now choose the folder that contains the XLSM file using the integrated file browser > choose the XLSM file.
- Then click on the Open button for opening the Excel XLSM file
- Click the “Enable Content” button at the top in the yellow bar for enabling the macros.
And this is it, hope you are now able to open Excel XLSM file in Excel 2013.
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
Make use of the professional recommended MS Excel Repair Tool to repair corrupt, damaged as well as errors in Excel file. This tool allows to easily restore all corrupt excel file including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data. With the help of this, you can fix all sort of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. This is a unique tool to repair multiple excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location. It is easy to use and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac operating system. This supports the entire Excel versions and the demo version is free.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
So, in this way you can fix the Excel XLSM files won’t open in Excel 2013.
Follow the given solutions one by one and check which one works for you to open the Excel XLSM file.
Well, facing Excel issues and errors is a common problem and once a while every user faces it, so in this case, remember to get on the root cause of the issue this will help you to resolve 50 percent of the error.
Additionally, we all know how essential is Excel application, so it is recommended to handle the Excel file properly and follow best preventive steps to protect your Excel files from getting corrupted.
Despite it, always create a valid backup of your crucial Excel data and as well scan your system with good antivirus program for virus and malware infection.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question