Are you the one facing the Excel Cannot Open the file error, because the “file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file”, every time when you try to open the excel file or access the file then you are in the RIGHT place. Here in this article, we are going to describe solution how to fix the error excel cannot open the file because the extension is not valid easily.
The error Excel cannot open the file ‘(filename)’.xlsx’ is a commonly found by the regular Excel users. This error messages appear while accessing the files. This is very irritating as this enables the users to do anything in the excel file, so before moving further here know the reasons behind getting the error to avoid this type of error in future.
Reasons Behind Getting Excel Cannot Open The File Error:
- The file is not compatible with the version of Excel that is used.
- If the excel file gets corrupted
- Or else the error is often seen with the emailed Excel files – especially forwards of forwards.
- If excel file is being edited by multiple people running different excel versions.
Well, these are some of the reasons due to which you encounter excel cannot open the file ‘(filename)’.xlsx’ because the file format or extension is not valid excel. So to get rid of this error here follows the manual as well as the automatic solution.
You may also like:
Manual Solution To Fix Excel Cannot Open The File Error:
1. Change the Excel Sheet File Extension:
In some cases, it is found that users are getting the error due to the unsupported file extensions of the file, so it is worth trying to alter the excel sheet file extension. Follow the steps to do so:
- Verify the support of xlsx extension and then go to ‘My Computer’.
- After that browse Tools > Folder Options > File Types.
- Now, check the ‘xlsx’ extension is included there or not. If in case not, then rename the file and change ‘.xlsx’ to ‘.xls’.
Hope this will help you to resolve the Excel Cannot open the file error but if not then make use of the second manual solution.
2. Utilize the Open and Repair Utility
You can make use of the inbuilt open and repair utility to fix the error, follow the steps to make use of it:
- First click on “Open” in the File Menu
- And from the list, select corrupt excel file
- Next from the drop-down list of the “Open” tab > select “Open and Repair”
- And finally, click on the“repair” button to repair the excel file.
However, it is found that it is unable to solve the severely damaged file and errors, so in this case make use of the automatic solution.
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
You can make use of the professional MS Excel Repair Tool to fix the error automatically. This tool is designed with the advanced algorithm to fix any sort of corruptions, errors, damages in the excel file and recovers data. It can easily restore entire excel data includes cell comments, charts, worksheet properties and other related data. The corrupted excel file can be restored to a new blank excel file. This is a unique tool to repair multiple files at one time and restore them even without modifying original formatting. It is easy to use, even a novice user can use it.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
We have tried our best to provide the ample solution to fix excel cannot open the file .xlsx in excel 2007 or 2013. Hope that by following the given solution you are able to fix the error and start accessing the excel file.