Being an Excel file corruption victim the very first thought that comes in mind, does it possible to extract data from corrupt Excel files without any data loss.
The answer to this most frequently asked question is “YES” of course it is possible to extract data from corrupt Excel file 2019/2016/2010/2007..and so on.
We all know that in such a situation, having a proper backup can release all our worries but what if you don’t have any backup to restore data.
It’s not like a corrupted Excel workbook can cause chaos but it is not less than havoc. As it poses a risk of deleting important data or records permanently.
If you too facing the same issue then you have come to the right place, we have something for you here.
In this article, I have listed down some best fixes to extract data from corrupted Excel file and also the reason that is causing Excel file corruption.
To extract data from corrupt Excel file, we recommend this tool:
This software will prevent Excel workbook data such as BI data, financial reports & other analytical information from corruption and data loss. With this software you can rebuild corrupt Excel files and restore every single visual representation & dataset to its original, intact state in 3 easy steps:
- Download Excel File Repair Tool rated Excellent by Softpedia, Softonic & CNET.
- Select the corrupt Excel file (XLS, XLSX) & click Repair to initiate the repair process.
- Preview the repaired files and click Save File to save the files at desired location.
Quickly go through this article to know how to Extract Data from corrupt Excel file.
Best Software To Extract Data From Corrupted Excel File
If you guys looking for some effortless and guaranteed solution of extracting data from Excel file then you must try the Excel File Recovery Tool.
As, this is the easiest way to repair corrupted, inaccessible, and damaged Excel files. Excel File Recovery Tool is a professional recommended tool for corrupt Excel file data recovery, as it is capable to solve and fix multiple excel workbook errors and issues. It also restores entire data including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other data. It is too easy to use and support all Excel versions.
Why To Choose Excel File Recovery Tool?
- Easily repair both .xls and .xlsx file.
- Restore multiple corrupted Excel files at one time.
- Recover everything included charts, cell comments, worksheet properties and other data.
- Extremely easy to use even a novice user can use it.
- Supports both Windows as well as Mac operating system.
Steps to Utilize Excel File Recovery Tool:
How Does An Excel File Get Corrupted?
There are a few main reasons responsible for corrupt Excel file and data loss. So pay attention to the reasons that may help you to keep corruption away for a long time.
- Unexpected power cut while editing an Excel sheet
- Bugs in Excel installation or application
- Hardware failure such as bad sectors on a hard drive in which Excel sheets are saved
- Virus Infection/adware Attack
- Excess data storage in single Excel file
- Damaged CSE Formulas and Excel Macros
Depending on the amount of data loss in the Excel file, there are various ways to recover deleted Excel file. But here it is suggested to run the automatic Excel Recovery Tool to extract data from corrupt excel file.
How To Extract Data From Corrupted Excel Files?
There are multiple manual methods which will help you to recover corrupt Excel file data.
Solution 1: Use Open And Repair function
This open and repair function is inbuilt in Excel that will help you to recover corrupted Excel file data you just need to follow the steps to perform the function.
- Open Microsoft Excel and click on Office button -> Open
- In the dialog box, select the corrupted Excel file.
- On the bottom-right corner of the dialog box, you will find a drop-down next to Open Click on it and select Open and Repair.
- This will open the inbuilt Repair section of Excel and you will see a dialog box asking to select the option from Repair or Extract Data.
- Click on the Repair to start the repair process.
- If it doesn’t work, then repeat steps 1-4, when Excel asks to select option, select Extract Data from corrupt excel file. Next, follow the instruction Excel shows you will able to recover excel file data
Solution 2: Enable Auto Recover Features
Excel Auto Recover features in the new version of Excel that diminishes the chance of data loss in Excel files. Though Auto recover feature in Excel is enabled by default so you can extract data from corrupt excel file if not then follow the steps to enable it:
- Open the Excel Workbook
- Click on the ‘File’ tab
- Click on the ‘Options’
- In the Excel Options dialog box, click on the Save (left pane of the dialog box).
- Make sure the following settings are enabled
Solution 3: Try Restoring Corrupted Excel File From TMP File
Microsoft has an Auto Recovery feature that allows you to save Excel files as a temp file on Windows automatically. If your Excel file gets corrupted you can extract data from Excel file by TMP file. Follow the step carefully:
1: Follow the temp file folder location on your computer and find the Excel temp files with TMP extension.
For Windows 8/10 users:
For Windows 7 users:
2: Locate and find the temporary excel files that begin with “$” or “~” and end with “.TMP”.
3: Copy those files and save it to another safe place by changing the extension from .TMP to .XLS/.XLSX.
Solution 4: Recover Corrupted Excel File By The Previous Version
A quick way to extract data from corrupt Excel file is by restoring the items from the previous/later version. Follow the steps to do so:
- Create a new Excel file with the name of your lost Excel file
- Right-click on Excel file and then click on Properties.
- Go to the older Versions, select the correct version and click on Restore.
- Open it save it in a new Excel workbook.
- Once it is done, re-open the file in HTML and save it again in XLS format.
- Finally, open and save the file in SLK format (symbolic link)
Note: It is very important for you to know that if you save Excel workbook in HTML format it will result in loss of features such as custom views, custom category, data consolidation, scenarios, natural formula, unused styles or number formats, etc. In SLK (symbolic link) format the only active worksheet is saved, if you try this method, remember for each worksheet you have to repeat the given steps.
Solution 5: Enable Auto Backup Feature
Excel Auto Backup features in the new version of Excel that reduces the chances of data loss or corrupted Excel file. Suppose if you are working on an Excel file name Test.xlsx and saved it in the folder, the Auto backup feature automatically will create a copy with the name ‘Backup of Test.xlk’.
If your files get corrupted or crash you can simply enable the Auto backup feature for a workbook. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do so:
- Hit on the File tab.
- After that tap to the ‘Save As’ option.
- Click on the Browse to open the ‘Save As’ box.
- In the Save As dialog box, click on the Tools option (it’s in the lower right part of the dialog box).
- Tap on the ‘General Options’.
- In the general options dialog box, click on the ‘Always Create Backup’
- Click OK.
- Save the file in the preferred folder.
Here I have provided you ample information regarding how to repair Excel file as well as ways to extract data from corrupted Excel file.
Hope this article turns out to be helpful to you. Try the above-stated solutions to solve your issue on how to extract data from corrupt Excel file.