Microsoft Excel is an electronic spreadsheet application used to manipulate, organize crucial data.
This is used by individuals as well as professionals to perform various tasks.
Excel is used for business analysis; data analysis…
… because this application is having financial and statistical functions, stores data systematically creates charts business presentation, creates invoices and much more.
Despite its various uses, there are many cases due to which the Excel workbook gets corrupted and as a result users start getting the file is corrupt and cannot be opened the message.
An Excel workbook is prone to corruption because of various reasons.
The corruption can causes issues like loss of data and inaccessibility of data to the Excel users.
Well, this is a quite miserable situation, but luckily there are ways that help to repair corrupt Excel workbook.
Here in this article, we are describing the entire information how to troubleshoot MS Excel not opening workbook with error.
But before moving further here knows the reasons due to which user get Excel workbook cannot be opened or repaired issue in your Excel file.
Reasons of MS Excel Files Corruption
- Unexpected System Shutdown: In some cases, the unexpected system shutdown or the sudden power failure can make the excel file corrupted and cannot be opened
- Virus: This is the common causes behind the Excel file corruption. The virus in the system not only corrupts the device but also the files and application stored in it. So, scan your device with the updated anti-virus to prevent excel file corruption in future.
- Hard disk failure: The hard disk failure and the bad sectors can corrupt the Excel file and the entire information becomes inaccessible.
- Bigger Size Excel Files: In single excel excess of data storage can corrupt the Excel file. Do not store excess of information on an Excel file to avoid corruption issues.
- Defects in Excel Application: Excel file is widely used application and in some cases, it gets corrupted due to minor issue or mishandling of the excel file. And as a result, when the user tried to edit the file or open the workbook, it starts showing the file is corrupt and cannot be opened. So, be careful while handling the Excel workbook.
These are the common reasons due to which the Excel file gets corrupted.
And when the user tries to open the corrupted workbook…
… it automatically starts File Recovery mode and tries to reopen and repair the excel file.
Commonly Excel cannot always start File Recovery modes automatically as the workbook cannot be opened or repaired by Microsoft Excel because it is corrupted…
…then try to fix the Excel error manually.
Manual Methods to Repair Corrupted Excel Workbook:
You May Also Like:
1: Open and Repair
This is the best way to resolve corrupted excel workbook.
It is an inbuilt utility available in the Excel application to repair the excel workbook.
So here know how to make use of it
- Start Microsoft Excel and in the File menu click on “Open”
- And select corrupted excel file
- From the list of the “Open” tab > select “Open and Repair”
- Click on the “Repair” button.
This will repair the corrupt excel file…
… however, if the file is severely damaged then this fails to fix it.
2. Data Extraction:
If the inbuilt utility is unable to repair the file, then try to retrieve data by extracting it.
Make use of the Macros to utilize this.
Here follow the steps, for data extraction:
- On the File menu, > click on “Open” tab
- Select the corrupt file
- And from the list of the “Open” tab, > select “Open and Repair” option
- Click on the “Extract” button to extract the data from the corrupt file.
3. Utilize Microsoft Office Tools
Make use of the Microsoft Office Tool to fix the Excel file issues.
- From the start menu > select All Programs.
- Select Microsoft Office> Microsoft Office Tools.
- And chooseMicrosoft Office Application Recovery.
- In the resulting dialog box > choose Microsoft Office Excel.
- Click on Recover Application, this might take a couple of minutes.
- Respond to the Send Report To Microsoft prompt.
The recovery tool closes the Excel file and starts it again with the list of recovered workbook.
Check the Excel file issue is resolved or not.
Automatic Solution To Repair Corrupt Excel Workbook:
If you are still unable to troubleshoot Excel workbook cannot be opened or repaired issue. Then make use of the professional recommended MS Excel Repair Tool. This is the best tool to fix any sort of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. With the help of this tool, you can easily restore all corrupt excel file including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data. This is a unique tool to repair multiple excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
I tried my best to provide the ample information about the excel file corrupted and cannot be opened issue.
Make use of the given methods and check the issue is solved or not.
In case you have any additional workarounds that proved successful or questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments.