If you are a regular Excel user then you have commonly encountered the error message “Microsoft Excel has stopped working” while working on the excel file or during closing the application. This is a very irritating issue as you are not able to do anything for some time and in some cases, it corrupts the excel file and the entire data stored in it become inaccessible.
This error is generally faced by the user when the workbook contains lots of data or complex calculation then excel file starts crashing and starts showing the Excel has stopped working error message. Or else it is seen many users are getting the error due to the add-ins of the older versions office file. However, it doesn’t matter whatever be the reason behind getting the Microsoft Excel 2010 has stopped working error message, here in this article know how to get rid of this annoying error.
Solution To Fix Microsoft Excel Stopped Working Error
To fix this error follow the different solution given in this article:
You may also be interested in:
Solution 1: Start MS Excel in Safe Mode
This is the first solution to fix the error, try to run the excel file in safe mode to do follow the steps:
- Press Windows+ R to open the command prompt or open from the Run option in theStart Menu.
- Then in the command prompt type exe /safe to open the MS Excel in the safe mode.
- After that press, the Ctrl button > open Excel file is another option to use the safe mode.
Hope this will help you but if not then try the second solution.
Solution 2: Check the Add-ins
Follow the steps to check Add-ins:
- Go to the File Menu > click on the Excel Options.
- Then in Excel Options window, Add-ins option is available on the left-hand side.
- Here you can see the list of the Active Application Add-ins. Every add-in has its name location and Type mentioned in the list. In this example, the Type of this Add-in is COM Add-in.
- Next, go to the Manage option, available in the bottom and set COM Add-ins > click on the GO button.
- A COM Add-Ins dialog box will appear on the screen > then in the above image, uncheck the first checked option > and click OK button.
Hope that after completing the whole process you are able to open the Excel file without any error
Solution 3: Repair Office 2013
It is seen that office 2013 is also creating an issue so try to repair it to solve the issue. Follow the steps:
- Go to Control panel > select the Microsoft Office from the list.
- And go to command prompt and type appwiz.cpl and press enter.
- Click on the Change option
Note: When you click on the Change option then an office window appears on the screen. Select Quick Repair option > click on the Repair button > now you can see the repairing process starts.
- When repairing process completes a confirmation message appears on the screen > click on the Close button and open the Excel file.
Solution 4: Keep your Windows Updated
Well, it is also found that the outdated windows system also causes the issue. So, if any latest updates are available on the web then update your application with the latest update. It is always good to keep your operating system updated with the latest update this keep the system healthy. Follow the steps to do so:
- Click on the Start button > go to the Control Panel.
- And click System and Security.
- Then at the Windows Update option > click on Turn automatic updating on or off.
- Next, select Install updates automatically (recommended) option or Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them the option.
Automatic Solution – MS Excel Repair Tool
MS Excel Repair Tool is a special tool which is specifically designed to repair such kind of files so that one can easily continue to work in that file. This repair tool searches for .xls file in the folder specified by the user. The file which is found to be corrupted will create a preview in the Excel Repair window. The interface is very simple, with a large toolbar of buttons to add files or folder to the application. With this software, you can repair your corrupted excel file. It can easily restore all corrupt excel file and also recover everything which includes cell comments, charts, worksheet properties and other related data. The corrupted excel file can be restored to a new blank excel file. It has the ability to recover the complete data from the file and restore them even without modifying original formatting.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
In this article, we have described the different solution to fix the Microsoft Excel has stopped working error. You can make use of the solution given here to get rid of the error easily.