Excel 2016 is the latest version released by Microsoft. This is the most advanced and popular spreadsheet program. This latest version of Excel is smooth and modernized, with entire previous existing features and a few more that provide greater ease of use. Now, it becomes easy to work with a large amount of data easily. This is overall a great choice for any medium and large business for managing their crucial data without any hassle.
But apart from its popularity, now the users are experiencing “Excel 2016 has stopped working with Windows 10” error message. Whenever the user tries to start Excel 2016 on Windows 10, the application starts crashing and freezing and start showing error. This is really the very frustrating issue, let define it best with the user experience:
I have been successfully creating and opening files in Excel 2016, but since I installed Windows 10. My excel files start crashing continuously and show error Excel 2016 has stopped working with Windows 10, I tried opening the file with the inbuilt Open & Repair utility but found no luck there.
This is really the very annoying issue and has no idea how to fix the error. Anyone have any idea how to get rid of this. Please help!!!
Original post from Microsoft Community
Well, there is no any definite reason that is responsible for this issue. This program causes the program to stop working correctly and then Windows will close the program and informs the user if a solution is available.
There is no any definite fix for Microsoft Excel 2016 has stopped working issue; therefore in this article, we are providing some possible workarounds that worked for many users who faced this weird issue. These solutions are very common and you can try them in your case to solve the error.
You May Also Like:
Solution to Fix Microsoft Excel 2016 Has Stopped Working on Windows 10
# 1 – Utilize Windows 10 File Explorer
The Excel app crashing issue is generally faced by the users on Windows 10. Some users practiced that turning on list view in File Explorer solve the issue. So it is recommended if you are experiencing the same issue then try this solution and check whether the issue is solved or not.
To do so follow the steps:
- Start File Explorer.
- Then in the View tab under Explorer‘s ribbon, choose the List as a default view.
Now check the issue is solved or not. Microsoft is aware of this problem and it will push some updates that help you to get rid of the error. But till then utilize this workaround.
# 2 – Disable Add-ins (Hit and trial method)
It is found that in some cases corrupted add-ins also contribute this problem. So if that is occurring on your system also, then try disabling the add-ins individually and check if the issue is solved or not. This is referred as a “hit and trial” method.
Follow the steps:
- Go to FILE > Options in the Microsoft Excel,
- Then in the Excel Options window, choose Add-ins against Manage > click Go.
- Lastly, disable add-ins individually and check the issue is solved or not.
Hope this solution will help you to solve the issue but if not then follow the online repair solution to get rid of the error.
#3 – Perform Online Repair
If office application in Excel is not working properly, then try the online repair process, this will fix the problem. Follow the steps to do so in Windows 10:
- First, right-click on the Start button > choose Programs and Features on the pop-up menu.
- Now right-click the Microsoft Office product that is needed to repaired > choose Change.
Please Note: If you are having a suite such as Office 365 Home or Office Home and Student 2013 or 2016, then search for the suite name, even if it is only a particular application that is needed to repair like Word or Excel. If you are having a separate application like Word or Excel then search for the application name only.
- From the “How would you like to repair your Office Programs” screen > choose Online Repair to assure everything is fixed.
- Then select Repair. The Quick Repair option is also available; this runs faster but only detects and substitutes the corrupted files.
Please Note: If the copy of Office is MSI-based, then choose Repair > click Continue. If you require help to figure out whether your Office is Click-to-Run or MSI-based, then follow the given below process.
- Open Office application, like Outlook or Word.
- Then go to File > Account or Office Account.
- If you notice an “Update Options” item, then you are having a Click-to-Run installation. And if you don’t notice any “Update Options” item, then you are having an MSI-based install.
- After that follow the instructions on the screen to complete.
Hope this process will help you to fix the excel 2016 issue in Windows 10 but if still it is not solved then go for the fourth solution.
#4 – Execute Offline Repair Of Office Installation
Office 2013 or 2016 comes with the ability to repair the Office installation offline. Repairing install not only fixes the problem but also fixes other issues related to the Office package.
Here follow the steps to do repair it:
- Open the Office application and then utilize the Repair process in Control Panel > Programs and Features
- Or else you can open it by typing Add or Remove Programs on the Start screen or in Search.
- Then, in Windows 10, open Control Panel > find Programs and Features or Add or Remove Programs.
- In the next window > select Repair option:
- The Repair option in the Office setup starts repairing itself. You can observe the progress indicator during this
- Lastly, as the Office installation is repaired successfully, you are asked to restart the system for applying the changes > click Yes option
- After restarting the system launch the newest Office 2016, and you will find that the problem is resolved now.
Automatic Solution to Repair Excel 2016
If you don’t want to repair your corrupt excel 2016 with the manual solution or you are unable to solve the issue with the excel 2016 file manually then, in this case, make use of the MS Excel Repair Tool, this is the best repair utility that is designed to fix all sorts of corruption, errors, damages in Excel file and also recovers entire data including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data easily. It is a professional recommended solution to repair corrupt excel file. This is the unique tool that repairs multiple files at one time and restores entire data in the preferred location. This supports all versions of Excel file and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac OS.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
Hope by following the workarounds given in the article you are able to fix the Excel 2016 crashing or error message in Windows 10 OS. We have provided manual as well as the automatic solution you can make use of any of the solutions as per your desire.