Does your Excel is not opening due to the corruption issue? Besides that, if you don’t even have a backup to restore your data back, then it might really be frustrating for you as you spend hours in completing the Excel Workbook and due to some reasons, all the data got corrupted and erased.
It’s not like a corrupted Excel workbook can cause chaos but it is not less than havoc as it poses a risk of deleting important data or records permanently. Lest a backup is kept for all the important files in Excel.
If you are among those people facing the same situation then you have come to the right place, we have something for you here. In this article, we have mentioned some of the solutions in order to help you recover corrupted Excel file and also the reason causing the corrupt Excel file.
Quickly go through this article to know how to Extract Data from a corrupt Excel file.
Reasons Behind Corrupt Excel File
There are a few main reasons responsible for corrupt Excel file and data loss. So pay attention to the reasons that may help you to keep corruption away for a long time.
- Unexpected power cut while editing an Excel sheet
- Bugs in Excel installation or application
- Hardware failure such as bad sectors on a hard drive in which Excel sheets are saved
- Virus Infection/adware Attack
- Excess data storage in single Excel file
- Damaged CSE Formulas and Excel Macros
Depending on the amount of data loss in the Excel file, there are various ways to recover deleted Excel file. But here it is suggested to run the automatic Excel Recovery Tool to extract data from corrupt excel file.
Automatic Solution: Excel File Recovery Tool
The easiest way to repair corrupted, inaccessible, and damaged file try Excel File Recovery Tool. This Tool is a professional recommended as it is capable to solve and fix multiple errors and issues in Excel workbook. It also restores entire data including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other data. It is easy to use and support all Excel versions.
How to Extract Data from Corrupted Excel Files?
There are multiple manual methods which will help you to recover corrupt Excel file data.
Solution 1: Use Open and Repair function
This open and repair function is inbuilt in Excel that will help you to recover corrupted Excel file data you just need to follow the steps to perform the function.
- Open Microsoft Excel and click on Office button -> Open
- In the dialog box, select the corrupted Excel file
- On the bottom-right corner of the dialog box, you will find a drop-down next to Open Click on it and select Open and Repair
- This will open the inbuilt Repair section of Excel and you will see a dialog box asking to select the option from Repair or Extract Data
- Click on the Repair to start the repair process.
- If it doesn’t work, then repeat steps 1-4, when Excel asks to select option, select Extract Data from corrupt excel file. Next, follow the instruction Excel shows you will able to recover excel file data
Solution 2: Enable Auto Recover Features
Excel Auto Recover features in the new version of Excel that diminishes the chance of data loss in Excel files. Though Auto recover feature in Excel is enabled by default so you can extract data from corrupt excel file if not then follow the steps to enable it:
- Open the Excel Workbook
- Click on the ‘File’ tab
- Click on the ‘Options’
- In the Excel Options dialog box, click on the Save (left pane of the dialog box).
- Make sure the following settings are enabled
Solution 3: Try restoring corrupted Excel file from TMP file
As Microsoft has Auto Recovery feature that allows you to save Excel file as temp file on Windows automatically. If your Excel file gets corrupted you can extract data from Excel file by TMP file. Follow the step carefully:
1: Follow temp file folder location on your computer and find the Excel temp files with TMP extension.
For Windows 8/10 users:
For Windows 7 users:
2: Locate and find the temporary excel files that begin with “$” or “~” and end with “.TMP”.
3: Copy those files and save it to another safe place by changing the extension from.TMP to .XLS/.XLSX.
Solution 4: Recover corrupted Excel file by the later version
A quick way to extract data from corrupt Excel file is by restoring the items from the previous/later version. Follow the steps to do so:
- Create a new Excel file with the name of your lost Excel file
- Right-click on Excel file and then click on Properties.
- Go to the older Versions, select the correct version and click on Restore.
- Open it save it in a new Excel workbook.
- Once it is done, re-open the file in HTML and save it again in XLS format.
- Finally, open and save the file in SLK format (symbolic link)
Note: It is very important for you to know that if you save Excel workbook in HTML format it will result in loss of features such as custom views, custom category, data consolidation, scenarios, natural formula, unused styles or number formats, etc. In SLK (symbolic link) format the only active worksheet is saved, if you try this method, remember for each worksheet you have to repeat the given steps.
Solution 5: Enable Auto Backup feature
Excel Auto Backup features in the new version of Excel that reduces the chances of data loss or corrupted Excel file. Suppose if you are working on Excel file name Test.xlsx and saved it in the folder, Auto backup feature automatically will create a copy with name ‘Backup of Test.xlk’.
If your files get corrupted or crash you can simply enable Auto backup feature for a workbook. Follow the below-mentioned steps to do so:
- Click on the File tab.
- Click on the ‘Save As’
- Click on the Browse to open ‘Save As’ box.
- In the Save As dialog box, click on Tools option (it’s in the lower right part of the dialog box).
- Click on the ‘General Options’.
- Click on the ‘Always Create Backup’
- Click OK.
- Save the file in the preferred folder.
Steps to Utilize Excel Recovery Tool:
Here I have provided you ample information regarding repair your Excel file as well as recover data from corrupt Excel file.
Hope this article turns out to be helpful to you. Try the above-stated solutions to solve your issue on how to extract data from corrupt Excel file.
If you have any questions related to the article, then visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question