Have you ever thought about what will you do if you need to transfer data from one Excel worksheet to another automatically?
or how will you update one Excel worksheet from another sheet, copy data from one sheet to another in Excel?
Keeping knowledge of these things is very important mainly when you are working with a large-size Excel worksheet having lots of data in it.
If you don’t have any clue about this, then this blog will help you out. As in this post, we will discuss how to copy data from one cell to another in Excel automatically?
Also, learn how to automatically update one Excel worksheet from another sheet, transfer data from one Excel worksheet to another automatically, and many more things in detail.
So, just go through this blog carefully.
Okay, first I should mention that I’m a complete amateur when it comes to excel. No VBA or macro experience, so if you’re not sure whether I know something yet, I probably don’t.
I have a workbook with 6 worksheets inside; one of the sheets is a master; it’s simply the other 6 sheets compiled into 1 big one. I need to set it up so that any new data entered into the new separate sheets is automatically entered into the master sheet, in the first blank row.
The columns are not the same across all the sheets. Hopefully, this will be easier for the pros here than it’s been for me, I’ve been banging my head against the wall on this one. I’ll be checking this thread religiously, so if you need any more information just let me know…
Thanks in advance for any help.
Methods To Transfer Data From One Excel Workbook To Another
There are many different ways to transfer data from one Excel workbook to another and they are as follows:
Method #1: Automatically Update One Excel Worksheet From Another Sheet
In MS Excel workbook, we can easily update the data by linking one worksheet to another. This link is known as a dynamic formula that transfers data from one Excel workbook to another automatically.
One Excel workbook is called the source worksheet, where this link carries the worksheet data automatically, and the other workbook is called the destination worksheet in which it automatically updates the worksheet data and contains the link formula.
The following are the two different points to link the Excel workbook data for the automatic updates.
1) With the use of Copy and Paste option
- In the source worksheet, select and copy the data that you want to link in another worksheet
- Now in the destination worksheet, Paste the data where you have linked the cell source worksheet
- After that choose the Paste Link menu from the Other Paste Options in the Excel workbook
- Save all your work from the source worksheet before closing it
2) Manually enter the formula
- Open your destination worksheet, tap to the cell that is having a link formula and put an equal sign (=) across it
- Now go to the source sheet and tap to the cell which is having data. press Enter from your keyboard and save your tasks.
Note- Always remember one thing that the format of the source worksheet and the destination worksheet both are the same.
Method #2: Update Excel Spreadsheet With Data From Another Spreadsheet
To update Excel spreadsheets with data from another spreadsheet, just follow the points given below which will be applicable for the Excel version 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007.
- At first, go to the Data menu
- Select Refresh All option
- Here you have to see that when or how the connection is refreshed
- Now click on any cell that contains the connected data
- Again in the Data menu, click on the arrow which is next to Refresh All option and select Connection Properties
- After that in the Usage menu, set the options that you want to change
- On the Usage tab, set any options you want to change.
Note – If the size of the Excel data workbook is large, then I will recommend checking the Enable background refresh menu on a regular basis.
Method #3: How To Copy Data From One Cell To Another In Excel Automatically
To copy data from one cell to another in Excel, just go through the following points given below:
- First, open the source worksheet and the destination worksheet.
- In the source worksheet, navigate to the sheet that you want to move or copy
- Now, click on the Home menu and choose the Format option
- Then, select the Move Or Copy Sheet from the Organize Sheets part
- After that, again in the Home menu choose the Format option in the cells group
- Here in the Move Or Copy dialog option, select the target sheet and Excel will only display the open worksheets in the list
- Else, if you want to copy the worksheet instead of moving, then kindly make a copy of the Excel workbook before
- Lastly, select the OK button to copy or move the targeted Excel spreadsheet.
Method #4: How To Copy Data From One Sheet To Another In Excel Using Formula
You can copy data from one sheet to another in Excel using formula. Here are the steps to be followed:
- For copy and paste the Excel cell in the present Excel worksheet, as for example; copy cell A1 to D5, you can just select the destination cell D5, then enter =A1 and press the Enter key to get the A1 value.
- For copying and pasting cells from one worksheet to another worksheet such as copy cell A1 of Sheet1 to D5 of Sheet2, please select the cell D5 in Sheet2, then enter =Sheet1!A1 and press the Enter key to obtain the value.
Method #5: Copy Data From One Excel Sheet To Another Using Macros
With the help of macros, you can copy data from one worksheet to another but before this here are some important tips that you must take care of:
- You should keep the file extension correctly in your Excel workbook.
- It’s not necessary that your spreadsheet should be macro enable for doing the task.
- The code that you choose can also be stored in a different worksheet.
- As the codes already specify the details, so there is no need to activate the Excel workbook or cells first.
- Thus, given below is the code for performing this task.
‘Open a workbook
‘Open method requires full file path to be referenced.
Workbooks.Open “C:\Users\username\Documents\New Data.xlsx”
‘Open method has additional parameters
‘Workbooks.Open(FileName, UpdateLinks, ReadOnly, Format, Password, WriteResPassword, IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended, Origin, Delimiter, Editable, Notify, Converter, AddToMru, Local, CorruptLoad)
‘Close a workbook
Workbooks(“New Data.xlsx”).Close SaveChanges:=True
‘Close method has additional parameters
‘Workbooks.Close(SaveChanges, Filename, RouteWorkbook)
Recommended Solution: MS Excel Repair & Recovery Tool
When you are performing your work in MS Excel and if by mistake or accidentally you do not save your workbook data or your worksheet gets deleted, then here we have a professional recovery tool for you, i.e. MS Excel Repair & Recovery Tool.
With the help of this tool, you can easily recover all lost data or corrupted Excel files also. This is a very useful software to get back all types of MS Excel files with ease.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair & Recovery Tool:
Well, I tried my level best to provide the best possible ways to transfer data from one Excel worksheet to another automatically. So from now on, you don’t have to worry about how to copy data from one cell to another in Excel automatically.
I hope you are satisfied with the above methods provided to you about Excel worksheet update.
Thus, make proper use of them and in the future also if you want to know about this, you can take the help of the specified solutions.