If you are an Excel user then this blog is highly useful to you, here know how to create Dynamic Data Labels, which can be highlighted when they are needed the most.
In MS Excel worksheet Chart is a perfect tool to present data in an enhanced and more understandable way but most of the time it is seen that it stuck because of the overloading of the excess of data representation. Actually, the fact is that Chart looks more understanding when it is neat and clean.
So, the best way to keep your chart representation clean and understandable make interactive Excel Charts so that it doesn’t look too messy. Doing this you can present more data in a single chart without worrying about all that clutter.
If you want to do something creative with your Excel spreadsheet then creating dynamic charts is a good option to work with. The key is to define the chart’s source data as a dynamic range. As this dynamic data labels will make your chart to automatically reflect changes and additions to the source data. The basic idea of creating these dynamic data labels is to create interactive Excel charts which can further help you to create Interactive Dashboards.
So let’s start knowing how to use dynamic labels to create interactive charts in Excel.
How this Dynamic Data Labels In Chart Work?
In your chart, you can highlight these Data Labels. This technique will help helps you in two ways firstly you can hide or unhide data labels in your charts and secondly, you can also highlight single data labels in your charts. Both of these ways will help you to create your chart more interactive of course.
How To Create These Dynamic Data Labels for an Interactive Line Chart In Excel?
First of all, you need to have a simple and clean revenue data in your worksheet, just as shown in below figure. And then this data should be used to make Dynamic Data Labels In A Line Chart.
MakingData Ready To Create a Line Chart With Dynamic Data Labels
- Take a blank column just next to the revenue column for data labels. Later these column’s values will be used to create data labels.
- Now insert a scroll bar and a checkbox to control data labels in your chart.
- Enter a checkbox from the developer tab and linked it with the cell in your worksheet. Later this checkbox will help you in hiding or unhiding data labels.
- After this, insert a scroll bar which helps you in highlighting the Single Data Labels.
- Now in that empty column that you have previously inserted in your data, enter the below formula.
How this Formula Work To Create Data labels Dynamic In Our Excel Charts?
This formula will verify that checkbox is checked or not, if it is checked then it will show all the value in the column and you will get all the data labels in your chart. And if in case the checkbox is not checked then it will further check the scroll bar value to highlight a single data label.
Now, your data is ready to create an interactive line chart with dynamic data labels.
Insert An Interactive Line Chart With Dynamic Data Labels
- Select the data and insert a combo chart. For combo, chart go to the Insert → Charts → Combo Charts
- Now make a selection for the Line Chart for revenue data and a Line Chart With Markers For Data Labels.
- Now select the Data Label Line and remove fill color from it. After removing the fill color you will see that only markers will be left for that line.
- Now insert Data Labels for Data Label Line.
This step will give you a line chart with dynamic data labels. Now you have the option either to hide/unhide the data labels or you can highlight a single data label in your chart.
How To Create Dynamic Data Labels for an Interactive Column Chart In Excel?
For this also, you need to create data in the same way as you have created for Line Chart.
Insert An Interactive Column Chart With Dynamic Data Labels
To create a column chart with dynamic data labels, you need to follow these given steps.
- Select the data & Create a Combo Chart.
- Now select the column chart for revenue data and a line chart with marker for data labels
- Add Data Labels to the Line Chart With Marker.
- After then remove the Line Color and Marker Color.
- Your interactive column chart with dynamic data labels is ready to impress anyone.
Thanks for reading the blog! Hope this blog will guide how to use Dynamic data label and given an attractive look and create interactive Excel charts.
So, make you of the given tips and make your presentation more enhanced and easily understandable.