What do you do if a heavily populated Excel workbook that contains plenty of essential data and refuses to open or start showing errors? Do you need to start from scratch? Panic!! You don’t need to?
Though Microsoft hasn’t offered any particular manual solution to fix MS Excel file corruption, there are some methods that proved to be helpful to repair corrupted Excel 2013 file.
MS Excel has widely used application for calculating, keeping record and tracking by the professional and many associations as well.
This popular application has released many versions to provide user flexibility and ease of use.
Among all the Excel versions that most popular is the Excel 2013. This is used by many organizations, students, professionals and others due to its advanced features and flexibility.
But despite its popularity, there are many cases seen when the Excel users get on the nerves.
There are many cases seen when the Excel macros and formulas go haywire and mess up everything or worse and corrupt the entire information on the sheet.
However, the most difficult thing is to track what is the root cause of the corruption and damages of the Excel workbook.
So, today in this article I am going to describe a very common problem how to recover corrupted Excel 2013 file.
But before moving further towards Excel recovery, it is important to identify the corruption of Excel workbook. So, that it will be easy for you to detect what is causing the Excel 2013 file corruption.
Identify Excel 2013 Corruption:
Excel file corruption is something that every Excel user comes across once in a life.
In some case spotting the Excel workbook corruption is easy but in many cases, it is a bit difficult to recognize corruption within the sheet.
Well, if the corruption is not detected in time then it might worsen the entire Excel workbook:
Some of the Excel corruption signs are mentioned below check them out to recognize what is your case.
1. Errors on File Open – When a workbook gets corrupted and while doing any attempt to open or access the file, it will result in errors or warning signs. Some of them are mentioned below:
- “Excel cannot open the file <filename>”, as the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file”
- The Excel workbook cannot be opened and repaired because it is corrupted.
2. Unexpected AutoRecover Warning – The MS Excel AutoRecover feature acts as a fail-safe. This saves copies of the entire opened Excel file at the fixed interval as per defined by the user. The files can be recovered if Excel closes unexpectedly.
So, if in a case while working on Excel sheet you see an unexpected AutoRecover warning – “An unexpected error has occurred. Autorecover has been disabled for this session of excel” than this is a clear sign that something has goes wrong.
So, in this case, the immediate step you need to take is saved the workbook, though corrupted workbook that is already loaded into the RAM (opened) cannot be saved together. And when you try to save it, the office will try to auto-repair the workbook and this might cause some unique effects like erasing some information.
- 3 Manual Ways to Recover Deleted Data from Excel Sheet
- 3 Ways to Fix “File in Use” Error in Excel 2007 & 2010
- 5 Ways to Fix Microsoft Excel Runtime File Error 13
3. Unexpected Excel Crash – This is clear sign that something terrible has happened with the Excel workbook is the sudden close of the Excel file with the error message “Microsoft Excel has stopped working”.
It is important to note that such sudden crash happens due to corruption or other reasons like bugs or issues with VBA code or improper patching of Office version.
How to Repair and Recover Corrupted Excel 2013 File:
Here I have described 5 ways to repair and recover Excel 2013 workbook data stored in it:
1. Restore from Backup
Make use of the recent Excel file backup to restore the entire data.
Well, you can make use of the automatic backup option to back up the crucial workbooks.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First open Excel.
- Then click File > Save As > Computer > Browse
- Next, in the Save As dialog box > click on arrow next to Tools > General Options
- Then check mark ‘Always create backup’ box.
2. Restore from File Recovery
The file recovery or recovery file is the alternative of a backup. It is a file that contains entire Excel data so that if the original workbook mistakenly gets damaged or deleted, you can access your entire data.
You can select to automatically create a recovery file at set intervals:
- First open Excel.
- Then click File > Options
- And in the Excel Options dialog box > choose Save > tick mark the Save AutoRecover information every box, > and according to you enter the minutes’ number (the default is 10).
- Give the location where you want to save the recovery file in the AutoRecover file location box.
Please Note: Ensure that the Disable AutoRecover for this workbook only box is unchecked.
3. Office Document Recovery
The Document Recovery task pane automatically opens at the time you launch Excel after the sudden crash so that the users can get the file back.
You need to click the arrow next to the recovered file in the Document Recovery task pane and select Open or Save As.
It might happen this option is not available if the workbook has been harshly corrupted.
4. Make use of Open and Repair Method
As Excel detects corrupted workbook, this will automatically start the File Recovery mode and try to repair the corrupt Excel 2013 workbook.
If in case this mode does not start then try to use the Open and Repair method to recover workbook.
- First open Excel
- Then click File > Open.
- Next, browse and choose the corrupted workbook.
- And click the arrow next to the Open button in the open dialog box > click ‘Open and Repair’
5. Make Use of Automatic MS Excel Repair Utility
Make use of the professional recommended MS Excel Repair Tool to repair corrupt, damaged as well as errors in Excel file. This tool allows to easily restore all corrupt excel file including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data. With the help of this, you can fix all sort of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. This is a unique tool to repair multiple excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location. It is easy to use and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac operating system. This supports the entire Excel versions and the demo version is free.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
So, this is all about Excel 2013 workbook corruption and how to recover the corrupted Excel data.
You can try the given solution to fix Excel 2013 file corruption and also recover the entire Excel data.
It might happen the next time if you face the Excel file corruption the reason might be different.
However, you can try the given solutions and recovers the entire data easily.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question