Are you the one getting 0 KB file error message in Excel, and looking for the ways to restore Excel files that shows 0 bytes error, then this article is for you, here know what goes wrong with your Excel file and how to get out of 0-byte storage device.
Microsoft Excel is a very good and highly popular program. But, there is a demerit in this application, it easily gets corrupted and starts showing errors.
There are many cases seen when the Excel file easily gets corrupted. Users are found reporting about various Excel nightmares and how to fix them.
Recently, users are found reporting about a very irritating error message 0 Bytes Excel file error and looking for the ways to restore it.
This 0 bytes file error message is faced by the users while trying to access Excel workbook and some of the common reasons behind getting this error a are virus infection, file system corruption, malware encryption or the file version is not compatible with the Excel edition and others.
Here in this article, I am describing the working solutions that helped many users to fix 0 byte Excel error.
How to Recover Corrupted Excel File 0 KB
Well, there is no any exact solution so below check out some troubleshooting steps to repair corrupted Excel workbook.
The given fixes are easy to execute but it is recommended before following any of the fixes create a valid backup of your Excel file to avoid the permanent data loss situation.
Step 1: Excel File Recovery Mode
Excel files automatically start in File Recovery mode when the workbook detects any corruption.
This helps you to recover the Excel data but if in case the workbook doesn’t start automatically then follow manual process to open File Recovery Mode.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Click File tab > Open
- After that click the folder where the corrupt file exists.
- Now in Open window > choose damaged workbook
- And click on arrow button > choose Open and Repair
- Click on Repair > to repair maximum data from the workbook
Hope the Repair option helps you to recover data but if not then choose Extract Data for extracting formulas and values from Excel workbook.
Helpful Article: 13 Inexpensive Ways to Fix Corrupt Excel File Assuredly
Step 2: Scan your Excel file for Virus infection
It is found that the virus, malware or the other encryption tool causes Excel file 0byte error.
So, here it is recommended to scan your system with the good antivirus tool to scan detect and remove the virus or malware infection.
Perform a deep scan of the Excel file that shows 0 byte error.
You can scan your system with the best Virus Removal Tool, to scan, detect and fix malicious virus, malware infection.
Step 3: Revert Last Saved Excel Version:
If while working your Excel workbook gets corrupted and you are unable to save the changes then try to revert Excel workbook to last save or the previous version.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Click File > Open
- And double-click on the Workbook name > click Yes to open it again
Note: You can lose the recent changes in your Excel Workbook when it opens.
Step 4: Set Calculation Option to Manual
Well, if in case after getting the error message, you are unable to open the Excel workbook then try changing the automatic calculation settings to manual.
Follow the steps:
- Click File > New > open Blank workbook
- Then, click File > Options
- And in the Formulas > under Calculation Options > choose Manual > OK
- Now click File > Open > find the corrupt Workbook and open it
Hope doing this will help you to restore 0 bytes Excel file easily.
You May Also Read:
- 6 Working Solutions to Fix “Unable To Save Excel File 2007” Error
- [SOLVED]: The File You Are Trying To Open Is In Different Format than Specified By the File Extension Excel Error
- Resolve “Invalid XLS File Format” Excel Error On Windows OS
Step 5: Manually Change File Extensions
Try changing the Excel file extensions as this can be a reason for getting the Excel 0 byte error message.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First right-click hard drive partition or storage device > choose Properties;
- And click Tools > Check now then click Start > Close > Cancel.
- Now, open hard drive partition or storage device and click the address field > type: FOUND.000 > Enter
- Next, rename the repaired file and as well change file extension with the same format of 0-byte files like .xlsx > and Save the file somewhere else;
- And open the latest saved file > check the file data > close and save it again on some other location (your 0 byte file is restored to reuse it again)
- Lastly, format storage device or hard drive store files again.
Hope changing the Excel file extension will help you to recover 0 bytes corrupt Excel file.
Step 6: Utilize Automatic Repair Utility
You can make use of the professional recommended MS Excel Repair Tool to repair corrupt, damaged as well as errors in Excel file. This tool allows to easily restore all corrupt excel file including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data. With the help of this, you can fix all sort of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. This is a unique tool to repair multiple excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location. It is easy to use and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac operating system. This supports the entire Excel versions and the demo version is free.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
Summing it Up:
Hope the given fixes will help you to recover 0 bytes corrupted Excel file.
Try the given manual fixes one by one and check which one works for you.
However, if none of the given fixes helps you then make use of the automatic repair utility to fix the error and recover the workbook data automatically with ease.
Apart from that, as we all know the Excel is an essential part of the daily life, so it is always recommended to take the best preventive steps to protect your Excel files from being getting corrupted.
Always make a valid backup of your crucial Excel file data and scan your system deeply with the good antivirus program to avoid getting the virus or malware corruption.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question