Are you the one struggling with Excel file doesn’t identify the Excel file format of XLS or XLSX and the error message appears that shows the “Excel file is not in a recognizable format” error? Then this article is for you here check out the complete information like why you are getting the error and how to fix this file is not in recognizable format error.
We all know how useful Microsoft Excel is. This is a highly popular and worldwide used application of Microsoft office suite.
But this doesn’t mean this is PERFECT or you can say free from errors.
There are large numbers of Excel errors and issues that interrupt the users from time to time and put the entire work to halt.
And “this file is not in a recognizable format Excel” error is one of them.
Well, this is very irritating but can be fixed by following the variety of different fixes. But first, check out the reasons why you are getting the Excel unrecognized file format error.
What Causes the Excel File is not in Recognizable Format Error?
The most common reason responsible for the error is the non-availability of the recognized format and the Excel files become inaccessible and pop-ups the error message. However, there are other reasons as well, here check them out:
- Due to the unexpected shutdown of the Excel application.
- Crashing of MS office application
- Change in the MS Excel version
- Excel file corruption due to the virus or malware infection, extremely huge database, multiple locking of the Excel file at the same time
- The latest service pack may not be in use on your system.
These are some of the common reasons that crop up the error now check the possible fixes to get rid of the Excel does not recognize this file format error.
How to Fix “This file is not in a Recognizable Format Excel” Error?
Microsoft has ensured that workbook would be recovered when the file is imported into Excel but there are cases when the automatic recovery does not happen.
So, here try the other possible ways to fix the Excel error.
Fix 1: Utilize MOC.exe File
Make use of the MOC.exe file to convert the workbook and then open it in Excel.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Right-click on any XLS files in your system
- Then a new dialogue box appears> click on Choose another app to select it
- Now a number of applications appear that the OS thinks file format is compatible with.
- Don’t select any of the apps from the list
- Move to Look for another app on this PC at the path “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeVersion”
- You can see a file name MOC.exe > select it and complete your export
And try to open the workbook and check if the error is resolved.
Fix 2: Open file from within the Excel:
If the above-given solutions won’t work for you, then follow the given ways to fix Excel does not recognize this file format error:
Follow the steps:
- Open a new workbook > and go to the menu > Options
- Now you can see a number of tabs on the left side of options.
- And under the ‘Formulas’ tab > change the calculation in Manual mode
- Click OK > save the changes to the workbook.
- And browse the file that was corrupted
- Click on file > choose the option “Open and Repair” in the drop-down Menu.
- And as the file was imported > click on Repair (to recover data from the selected workbook)
Hope the trick helps you to fix Excel file corruption and “this file is not in a recognizable format Excel” error is resolved.
Fix 3: Disable Add-ins
Try to open the workbook in safe mode and check if the issue re-occurs.
Follow the given instructions:
- Click on start> all programs >accessories>run and then enter given command in open box > hit
- Excel /safe
- Now in the Excel disable the add-ins:
- Click on File menu > Options > Add-ins > Go button besides Manage: Com-Add-in.
- And check if add-ins are listed there and clear the checkbox to disable them.
- Close the Office program > restart it.
- Disable all the add-in > restart Excel and repeat the above steps if still facing the error
It is estimated the given tricks work for you to fix “this file is not in a recognizable format Excel” error. But if you are still struggling with the error then make use of the automatic solution.
Automatic Solution: Excel File Recovery Tool
You can make use of the professional recommended Excel Recovery Tool; this is an advanced repair tool that allows repairing corrupted, damaged, inaccessible Excel file and some sort of errors in Excel. Not only this also recover the lost, deleted, corrupted Excel file data without any modification.
You can recover chart, chart sheet, table, cell comment, image, cell comment, formula, and sort & filter and all data components from corrupt Excel file. It is easy to use and support all Excel versions.
Steps to Utilize Excel Recovery Tool:
Try the given fixes to get rid of “this file is not in a recognizable format Excel” error.
Hope after following the manual solutions you are able to fix the error but if not then feel free to make use of the MS Excel Repair tool, to make your Excel file error-free.
Hope the article helped you to solve all your queries.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, then visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question