Are you the getting the stdole32.tlb while using the Microsoft Excel. Then here knows what goes wrong with the Excel file.
Microsoft office is software that is used in every day works. The most popular software of Microsoft Office suite is Excel and then comes the Microsoft Word.
MS Excel is widely used application, but this is highly crucial also. As this is highly prone to corruption, sometimes a minor mistake can make the entire Excel file corrupted and as a result, it starts showing errors.
Well, in our previous blogs we had discussed many Microsoft Excel errors and also the provided solutions successfully fixed the errors by many users.
Nevertheless, and today, I am with another Microsoft excel stdole32.tlb error. This error is being reported by many users, commonly faced while double-clicking on the Excel icon to open it.
Well, in some cases opening the can be an MS Excel nightmare, as because of the issues with the Microsoft Office package. And every time you start the MS Excel, Windows tries to configure Microsoft Office, and this is really tiresome, and at the end, you will get error stdole32.tlb in Excel.
The MS Excel error stdole32.tlb is commonly faced by the Excel 2007 users but is not limited to it. As Excel 2010 and 2013 users are also found reporting about the error stdole32.tlb.
So, to help our users out I am going to describe some of the best working solutions that will have you to fix Excel error stdole32.tlb. But before moving towards the fixes here check out the common causes responsible behind getting the Microsoft Excel stdole32.tlb error.
Causes of the Error stdole32.tlb
Well there are many reasons responsible behind getting the Excel error stdole32.tlb. Here check out some of the common one:
- Due to incomplete installation of Microsoft Office application.
- Windows Registry corruption
- Installation of the another Excel related application
- Due to virus or malware infection
- Due to bad sector present in the hard drive.
How to Fix Stdole32.tlb Excel Error
Fix 1: Repair Microsoft Office 2007
As it is said above, due to some issue in Microsoft office package users are getting the error. So, here it is recommended to repair Microsoft Office 2007 package as the problem commonly seen in the Excel 2007.
Doing this will solve the file corruption and after repairing Microsoft Office, files will be renewed with the new one.
The entire application of Microsoft Office such as Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint and others are repaired.
Here follow the steps to do so:
- Press Windows + R key > hit appwiz.cpl > hit Enter.
- This will open the Program and Features applet.
- Then right-click on Microsoft Office 2007 > click Change
- Click on Repair > Continue
- As the Microsoft Office 2007, finish the repair process, reboot your Windows OS.
Now try to run the Excel file and check whether the error is fixed or not.
Fix 2: Uninstall and Reinstall Office
It is found that many users are getting the Excel Error Stdole32.tlb due to the incomplete installation of the corrupt Microsoft office program.
So here it is recommended to try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Microsoft Office program. Well, there are many tools available online then help you to complete uninstall the program you can make use of it to complete uninstall the Office program.
Removing any program manually won’t remove the left over components in the computers. So for best result make use of the third party tool available online. And after reinstalling the Office program check if the error stdole32.tlb is fixed.
Fix 3: Delete Office Keys from Registry Database
Well, in this method to solve Excel error stdole32.tlb, here you need to work with a registry.
Please Note: Before moving further it is recommended to the backup registry database. As if in case any misconfiguration occurs, to revert the registry database to the previous state to work without the problems.
Know follow the steps given:
- First hit Windows logo > type regedit
- And right click on regedit > select Run as administrator
- To confirm running regedit as administrator click Yes.
- Click File > Export
- Enter the File name, under Export range select All > click
- Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office.
- Delete the subkey named Excel. If some keys cannot be found or deleted, then skip them.
- You need to open subfolders 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0 > delete subkeys Excel. If some keys are not found or deleted, skip them.
- Now right click on Excel, too, you will delete Excel subkey.
- Click Yes, to confirm delete.
- Now move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office
- Delete subkey named Excel. If some keys cannot be found or deleted, skip them.
- Here you need to open subfolders 8.0, 11.0 and 12.0 > delete subkeys Excel.
- Right-click on Microsoft Excel, and delete Excel subkey.
- And close the registry editor > reboot your Windows OS
Hope, after following this solution you are able to fix Excel error stdole32.tlb but if not then follow the last solution.
Fix 4: Change the Registry Keys Permission
If the above method won’t work for you, then try the last manual solution. Here you need to change some registry database permissions.
Please Note: Before doing any changes it is recommended to backup the registry database avoid further issues. And also if this won’t work for you, then it is easy to revert back to the previous state.
Here follow the steps to do so
- Hit Windows logo > type regedit
- Then, right click on regedit > select Run as administrator
- And click Yes to confirm running regedit as administrator > click File > Export
- Next type File name and under Export range select All > click Save
- Move to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Chart.8
- Right Click on Chart.8 > choose Permissions
- And in the Permission windows > click on Add
- Next under Enter the object names to select (examples): type Everyone > click Check Names
- To confirm adding object Everyone > click OK
- As this is finished, click on the Advanced tab > then under Owner > click Change
- Now again, under “Enter the object names to select (examples): type Everyone” > Check Names
- Next, click OK for confirming adding object Everyone
- As the owner of this key is successfully changed, you can see that Owner is changed from System to Everyone. Click Apply and then OK.
- And under Permission > select Everyone > allow the check box for Full Control and Read
- Then, click on Apply > OK
- By pressing F5 refresh registry database, doing this will create a new Sub key below Chart.8 called Protocol
- Change the permissions of the key by repeating steps from 7 to 17
- And again refresh registry database and follow the same sequence of steps for adding permission to the following Sub keys StdFileEditing\Server.
- Next close the registry editor > reboot your Windows OS.
And after completing the whole process try to run the Microsoft Excel.
But if in case, this won’t solve your problem then restore registry backup file.
To do this select File and > Import, and move to the registry backup file and click Open. If you successfully restored the registry to the previous start, the below-given notification will appear to you.
Keys and valued contained in backup file (C:\Users\user\Desktop\backup09072017.reg have been successfully added to the registry.
- After that, restart your Windows operating system.
Fix 5: Scan your System for Virus/Malware
If after following the above given fixes still you are getting the Error Stdole32.tlb in Excel then here we recommend you to scan your system for virus and malware infection.
In many cases it is found that runtime error appears due to virus or malware infection. So check for the virus infection to repair the infected files.
Helpful Article: Top 5 Methods to Repair & Recover Virus Corrupted Excel Files
Hope the given fixes help you to solve the error but if not then make use of the automatic MS Excel Repair Tool
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
Utilize the professional recommended MS Excel Repair Tool to repair corrupt, damaged as well as errors in Excel file. This tool allows to easily restore all corrupt excel file including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data. With the help of this, you can fix all sort of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. This is a unique tool to repair multiple excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location. It is easy to use and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac operating system. This supports the entire Excel versions and the demo version is free.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
Hope, after following the solutions you are able to resolve Excel error stdole32.tlb.
I tried my best to provide the best working solutions to fix Excel error.
However, these are quite complicated so if you are not technically savvy, then it is suggested to follow the automatic solution.
Additionally, always keep the backup of the important files to overcome the situation.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question
[This is an updated version to resolve Excel error stdole32.tlb.]