Struggling with the Excel AutoRecover feature not working, looking for the solutions to fix the issue or save your data from the unexpected data loss situation then this article is for you. Read the article to effectively recover lost data and repair the Excel AutoRecover not working error with easy tweaks.
The unexpected things often happen Excel crashes, sudden system shutdown, accidentally closing a file without saving the file etc are the cases the causes of data loss.
And to avoid losing your work during the unexpected things happen to save your Excel files at regular intervals or make use of the AutoSave and AutoRecover feature. But quite complex and highly prone to corruption
This is a reason in very Excel version from 2016 to 2007 AutoRecover features is provided. This inbuilt feature allows saving of all the open Excel files at a user-defined fixed interval or at the AutoRecover file location.
Also, there is another AutoSave option as well, this is an add-in presented in Excel 2002 and earlier versions for saving open Excel files during unexpected scenarios. And users can suddenly recover the files from the default location where the AutoRecovered Excel files are saved.
But many users are found reporting that the Excel AutoRecover feature is not working for backing up the files and in Windows 10/8/7 PC.
Well, in this scenario there are two possible causes for the data loss or the Excel AutoRecover is not working. Have a look:
- AutoRecover feature is disabled – If the AutoRecover feature is disabled, then the Excel files are not autosaved when closed without saving or closes unexpectedly due to an irritating situation. So here check the “Save AutoRecover information every minute” and “Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving” checkboxes are checked or not. If both are unchecked or one is either unchecked, then this means the AutoRecover is disabled and needed to enable
- Corruption of Excel file – Well, if the Excel AutoRecover feature is enabled, then another possible cause is the corruption of the Excel file or the Excel XLSX files are damaged.
Moreover, you don’t need to worry as there are solutions for “Excel AutoRecover not working” issue. Below check out the possible solutions to fix the Excel issue.
# If the Excel AutoRecover option is disabled then try enabling it. Follow the steps to do so:
- Open Excel > click on File > Options tab
- In Excel options,> click on Save tab
- Verify ‘Save AutoRecover information every minutes’ and ‘Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving’ box
- And set the time ‘Save AutoRecover information every minutes’
- Click on the OK button
- 5 Solutions to Recover Corrupted Excel File That Works
- 5 Working Solutions to Fix Microsoft Excel Cannot Paste Data Error
- 3 Reliable Fixes to Repair Excel File Unexpected Error
How to Fix Excel AutoRecover Not Working Issue
Try the given manual solutions but if thi9s won’t works for you then it is worth to make use of the automatic solution to Fix Excel issues and as well recover the lost data easily.
Solution 1: Locate Excel Temp Files and Re-save Them
Here, it is suggested to locate the Excel Temp files and re-save them as the .XLS/.XLSX file. Doing this will recover lost or unsaved Excel files data.
- Go to the location given below to locate Excel Temporary files and re-save them.
The Windows 7 users go to the location:
And the Windows 8/10 users go to the location:
In this way, you can recover the lost or unexpected deleted Excel files data. But if the files are damaged or get corrupted then follow the next solution.
Solution 2: Make Use of the Open and Repair Tool
Make use of the inbuilt Open and Repair utility to fix and repair damaged Excel files.
Follow the steps to use it:
- Open Excel workbook > click File > Open
- Now click the location and the folder where the corrupted Excel file is presented.
- Select the corrupted Excel file > click the arrow next to Open button > click Open and Repair;
- And click Repair to recover as much of Excel data.
Hope doing this recovers the lost data and fix the issue as well.
Apart from that if still, Excel AutoSave feature not work then try uninstalling and reinstalling the Excel application.
Frequently Asked Question:
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
It is recommended to make use of the MS Excel Repair Tool. It is the best tool to repair all sort of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. This allows to easily restore all corrupt excel file including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data. This is a unique tool to repair multiple Excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location. It is easy to use and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac operating system.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
So, this is all about the Excel AutoRecover not working issue.
Here check out the complete information about how to resolve the issue and recovers the lost data from Excel files.
Make use of the given manual solutions, however, if the manual solution won’t work for you then go for the automatic solution to recover data.
Apart from that Excel is a very crucial file so it is very important to handle it properly and backup your important data to avoid data loss situation.
In case you have any additional workarounds that proved successful or questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments or you can visit the Repair MS Excel Ask Question