Getting error message ‘filename.xls’ cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location.” each time when you tries to open up your Excel file. Don’t know what to do looking for some easy solution to fix it soon. Then RELAX!!! you are in the right place. Here read the complete information about ‘filename.xls’ Cannot Be Accessed error and its fixes.
MS Excel is a very useful application of Microsoft Office suite but this is also very crucial and highly prone to corruption a small mistake can corrupt or damage your entire Excel file.
When the Excel file gets corrupted it start showing various errors and the filename.xls cannot be accessed is one of them.
This is a very irritating situation you are unable to open or access your Excel workbook. And also it might happen the entire data stored in it becomes inaccessible.
So, here in this article follow the complete solution to fix the filename.xls cannot be accessed error and the reasons responsible for getting the error Excel file cannot be accessed the file may be corrupted.
Reason Behind Getting the XLS Cannot be Accessed Error:
You might be getting this error message while trying to open an Excel workbook:
“.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be red-only or you may be trying to access a read-only location or the server the document is stored or may not be responding.”
This error will obstacle you to access the Excel file and its contents. Well, this is very irritating and here check out the possible reasons responsible for the corruption.
There are more than one reasons responsible for the occurrence of the error messages. Here they are:
- Excel file is located on a server that is currently unavailable.
- The file you are trying to open is damaged or corrupted.
- You don’t have sufficient permission to access the file.
Manual Solution to Fix Filename.xls Cannot Be Accessed Error
To fix this error manually, you need to perform following operations:
- If the file is marked read-only, then you need to modify the permission first.
- Diagnose for the server issue and correct them.
- Check if the Excel file is read-only or on a read-only location or on a remote server.
- And if you found that your file is on the remote server, then try copying the file from the read-only location or server to a writable drive on the local computer
- And assure you remove the read-only attribute of the Excel file.
You May Also Read:
- 5 Methods to Fix “Problem With Some Content in Excel 2013” Error
- Top Ways to Recover Macros from Corrupted Excel File Effectively
- FIX: “Excel Found Unreadable Content In Filename .xls” Error In MS Excel
Apart from that if the Excel file is damaged then try repairing the Excel file follow the steps given below:
- Try to open the file with ‘Open and Repair’ feature
- Save the damaged Excel file in XML or HTML format and convert it back in MS Excel file format.
- And if you have used any chart that is attached already with the damaged Excel file then use a macro to extract the data from a file.
If still, you are getting the same issue with the Excel file then use your recent file backup to restore. If you don’t have a backup of an Excel file then it would be very irritating for you. In order to resolve backup file issue, you need to use Excel Recovery Tool for safe and reliable repair and restoration of the Excel document.
Alternate Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
You can make use of the professional recommended MS Excel Repair Tool to repair and recover the corrupted, damaged and inaccessible Excel file. This is the best repair utility that helps to fix all sorts of issues, corruption, and errors in the Excel file. It can easily restore all corrupt excel file and also recover everything which includes cell comments, charts, worksheet properties and other related data. The corrupted excel file can be restored to a new blank Excel file. It has the ability to recover the complete data from the file and restore them even without modifying original formatting.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
So, in this way you can fix XLS cannot be accessed the file may corrupt error in Excel.
Try the given manual solutions one by one to fix filename.xls Excel error.
Or if the Excel file is corrupted then make use of the automatic Excel repair tool to repair and recover the corrupted Excel file.
Apart from that be careful while handling the Excel file and follow best preventive steps to protect the Excel files from getting corrupted.
Despite it, always create a valid backup of your Excel data and as well scan your system with good antivirus program for virus and malware infection.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question