Microsoft Excel is a very popular application of Microsoft Office Suite. This worksheet application provides Calculation, Pivot tables, Graphing tools, Macro programming language is known as Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), etc. It is widely being used by the individuals as well as enterprises for trading, accounting, Sales & Marketing and many others.
However, apart from its popularity and uses, this is more prone to corruption. Neither Mac nor Windows version is resistant to virus infection. Viruses, malware, ransomware might infect anytime and as a result Excel files become inaccessible, corrupted or damaged.
Well, this is the very irritating situation and need to be fixed as soon as possible. As the virus corrupted Excel files might contain valuable information, data’s, calculation and lot more.
Today here in this article we are going to describe how to repair and recover Virus infected Excel files:
The Virus that Corrupt MS Excel Files:
Viruses are highly malicious and there are numerous kinds of virus. The Macro/VBA virus is a malware that comes in various forms like PLDT, SGV and CAR. This is designed in a way to infect any application written with a Macro language and MS Excel is one of them.
Consequently, this easily gets infected with Virus infection. In the Excel files, this malicious program takes the benefits of Macros by attaching itself to the file and secretly takes the Auto_Open function of Excel.
Moreover, there are many new kinds of virus that comes embedded in Excel document. The CryptoLocker virus is the one. This is very dangerous and easily infects the files, documents, an application stored on the PC.
So, the easiest way to protect your Excel files against PLDT/ SGV/ CAR Macro viruses is just disabling the Macros in the Excel files. And also scan your system with the good Virus Removal tool.
In this way you can avoid the Excel files from getting infected with the virus but if your Excel files already have been infected with a virus. Then in that situation, you need to repair the corrupted Excel files.
Here know how…
Methods to Repair and Recover Virus Infected Excel File
Follow the top 5 ways to resolve virus infected Excel files and restore them without any modification to the data within.
Method 1: Open and Repair
If MS Excel does not automatically start the File recovery mode, then you need to manually repair and recover Virus infected Excel files by making use of the Open and Repair utility.
Follow the steps given to do so:
- First, click on the Microsoft Office button > click Open.
- Then, in the Open dialog box > choose infected Excel file.
- And click the arrow next to the Open tab > on the Open and Repair
- Perform one of the given steps:
- Click on Repair tab. (To recover data of much Excel file)
- Click on Extract Data tab. (To extract values and formulas from Excel file when repair file is unsuccessful.)
You May Also Read:
- FIX: Crashing, Freezing, Not Responding or Stop Working Issues in MS Excel 2013 and 2016
- Top 5 Common Excel 2010 Issues & Fixes
- Resolve “Microsoft Excel has stopped working” Error Message
Method 2: Open with Open Office
Here you can try to open corrupt or damaged Excel file in Open Office. This is an open-source Office suite and able to open and save corrupt Excel files.
Method 3: HTML method
To repair virus infected Excel file you can try the HTML method. Here you need to Open the Excel file and save it in HTML format.
Here know how to do so:
- First, open the Excel file > go to “Save As”.If needed choose other formats from the drop-down menu in the “Save As Type” option.
- And in the drop-down list > choose “Web Page”.
- To recover the entire document, it is important to select “entire Workbook” > click on “Save”.
Please Note: Some elements of original workbook may get deleted, the formatting may be lost. If Excel displays a message indicating the fact, click “Yes” to accept the risk and to continue
- When the file is saved, situate it in the folder where you saved the file. To do this click “File”> select “open”> open the folder to find the file. As you find it, right-click on the file> select “Open with Microsoft Office Excel”.
- When the document is open > go to “Save As”> select Excel format next to the “Save As Type” option. When asked for a Page Title, create this is not same as the original corrupted file. Click “Save” for completing the entire process.
Hope that doing this will repair the virus corrupt Excel file and also recover the entire data.
Method 4: SYLK Method
If the above-given method won’t help you to repair virus infected Excel file then try to repair it with the SYLK (Symbolic Link Format) method.
For doing this you need to open the Excel file and save it in SYLK format. With this, the damaged elements might get filtered and then discard the filtered elements to repair and recover the corrupted Excel XLS or XLSX file.
Method 5: Move the File
Well, it is found that simply moving the corrupt Excel file can do the MAGIC.
If by following the repair method the infected Excel file is not repaired then move the corrupted file to another folder, drive or server as might happen due to the virus infection the Excel file become inaccessible and you are not able to access it.
If possible then try to open the Excel file in another computer.
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
It is recommended to make use of the MS Excel Repair Tool. This is the best tool to repair all sort of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. This tool allows to easily restore all corrupt excel file including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other important data. This is a unique tool to repair multiple excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location. It is easy to use and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac operating system. This supports the entire Excel versions.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
Thanks for reading the article. Hope after reading the article you are able to repair and recover the virus infected Excel file. I have tried my best to provide the reliable solution to repair virus infected Excel files but if you are not able to repair it with the manual solution then make use of the automatic tool to surely repair your Excel file and recover the entire data stored in it without any changes to the original format.
In case you have any additional workarounds that proved successful or questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments or you can visit the Repair MS Excel Ask Question