Is your heavily populated Excel file containing a lot of vital data gets corrupted or refuses to open or start showing errors? Panic! As you need to start from scratch.
You don’t need to, as this article is for you. Here in this article, I am going to describe the entire information, what causes the Excel file corruption issue and how to recover corrupt Excel file data.
MS Excel is used worldwide by the professionals and the organizations for calculating, maintaining data, keeping record and track.
But there are many cases seen when the Excel file get you on the nerves.
Commonly the Excel macros and formulas go haywire and make everything worse, corrupt the entire information stored in the workbook.
Well, this is a most frustrating situation as a minor corruption in the Excel workbook makes the entire data stored in it inaccessible. And as a result, you are not able to access the data stored in an Excel file.
But Relax and read the article thoroughly to repair & recover corrupted Excel file data. But before moving further know what causes the Excel file corruption to overcome the data loss situation in the future.
What Causes Excel File Corruption
There are many cases seen responsible for Excel corruption. Here check out the most common one:
- Due to the sudden closing of the opened Excel workbook
- Unexpected Excel crash
- Due to a virus/malware infection
- Mistakenly using the Excel file
- Excel application defection.
- Unexpected system shutdown
- Bad sector in the Excel workbook
To repair corrupted Excel workbook, Microsoft hasn’t offered any manual solution but an inbuilt Open and Repair utility available in Excel file.
Despite this, there are many other manual ways you can use to recover corrupt Excel file. Below check the detailed process.
How to Recover Corrupt Excel File Data
Solution 1: Use Open and Repair Tool
Make use of the inbuilt Open and Repair tool to repair corrupt Excel file.
Try the given instruction to do so:
- Open Excel sheet > click File > Open.
- Now select the corrupted Excel file
- And click the arrow next to Open button > Click Open and Repair.
- If this is your first attempt for manually recovering workbook > click Repair in the resulting dialog box.
- Hope Excel will repair the file, but if something goes wrong, Excel will not recover any data from the corrupt Excel workbook.
- Well, in this case, click the second option Extract Data
However, in many cases, it is seen this fails to repair the severely damaged or corrupted Excel file.
So, in this case, make use of the professional recommended Excel File Repair Tool, to recover corrupted Excel file.
Solution 2: Utilize Excel File Recovery
You can make use of the best ever Excel File Recovery Tool, to repair and recover corrupted, damaged or inaccessible Excel file. This is capable to fix Excel file corruption issues and various errors encountered by the users. It allows to easily restoring entire data including the charts, worksheet properties cell comments, and other data.
This is a unique tool to repair multiple Excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in the preferred location. It is easy to use and supports all Excel version.
Solution 3: Restore corrupted Excel file from TMP file
Microsoft is having an AutoRecovery feature that allows automatically saving Excel file as a temp file on the Windows operating system.
So, that if in case the MS office applications such as Excel, Word or PPT file gets corrupted or crashed, you can recover it.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Open the temp file folder location on your PC and locate the Excel temp files with TMP extension.
The Windows 8/10 users:
Go to – C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles
The Windows 7 users:
Go to – C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\
- Locate the temporary Excel files begin with “$” or “~” > end with “.TMP”.
- Copy the files > save to another Safe location > change the extension from.TMP to .XLS/.XLSX.
And you can restore corrupted/damaged XLS/XLSX file easily.
Solution 4: Restore from File Recovery
The File recovery is the alternative backup, means this is a file that contains entire Excel data as if the original workbook get damaged or corrupted the data can be access from there.
And when the Excel file gets corrupted and tries to open a corrupted workbook, Excel engages the File Recovery mode that tries to repair the workbook.
You can create a recovery file automatically during intervals.
Follow the given instructions:
- Open Excel > click File > Options
- Then in the Excel Options dialog box > Save > check every box of the Save AutoRecover information > and as per your recommendation set the time limit (the default is 10).
- Provide the location where you want to save the recovery file in the AutoRecover file location box.
Please Note: Make sure the Disable AutoRecover for this workbook only box is unchecked.
In many cases, the Excel automatic File Recovery mode or Autorecover fails to recover corrupt Excel file. If this happens then try the below-given solution.
Solution 5: Revert Workbook to last Saved Version
When the workbook gets corrupted at the time you are working then the best thing to recover corrupt Excel data is reverting the workbook to last saved version.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, click File > Open.
- And double-click on the name of the workbook that you have open in Excel.
- Next click Yes to reopen the workbook.
Doing this will open the workbook without any modification made by you, but doing this will open the Excel file and data stored in it.
Solution 6: Disable Automatic Calculation
If Excel fails to open the file on its own or through the Open and Repair option, then, in this case, try changing calculation from automatic to manual. As the workbook won’t recalculate in this case and might open.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Open new blank workbook.
- Click File > Options > in Formulas category > under Calculation option
- Then click Manual > click OK.
- Next click File > open
- Now locate the workbook > double-click corrupted workbook to open it.
And check if this repair corrupt Excel file then recovers the entire data stored in it.
Solution 7: Try Microsoft Office Tools
If you are not able to open the corrupted workbook, then try the Microsoft Office Tools to recover corrupt Excel file data.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Click the Start menu > select All Programs
- Then choose Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools.
- Now choose Microsoft Office Application Recovery.
- And in the resulting dialog box > choose Microsoft Office Excel.
- Next click Recover Application.
- The whole process takes a few minutes and responds to the Send Report to Microsoft prompt.
The recovery tool closes the Excel file restarts it and display the list of the recovered workbook. Hope this helps you to recover corrupt Excel file data.
Solution 8: Move the File
In some cases, the corrupted workbook is not really corrupted just become inaccessible. The networks and servers often cause corruption and corrupt the files.
If your Excel file becomes inaccessible and Excel won’t repair than move the corrupted file to another drive, folder or server.
Solution 9: Recover Corrupt Excel by Saving as Another Format
You can try this easy tweaks to recover corrupt Excel file data:
- Open corrupted Excel file > go to Save As.
- And choose Web Page from possible file formats.
- Check if entire Excel file is selected > click Save
- Locate the saved file > right-click on it > select Open with > Microsoft Office Excel.
- If file won’t opened normally > go to Save As > select an Excel format .xls or .xlsx.
- And change the file name to prevent confusion > click Save
In, this case you can recover corrupt Excel file data.
It is estimated the given solutions will help you to repair and recover corrupt Excel file data.
[BONUS TIP]: Automatically Save backup Copy of a Workbook
I always recommend backup your Excel data, so that you can access your data if in case your Excel workbook gets corrupted or deleted.
Follow steps to automatically save the backup copy of your workbook:
- Click File > Save As.
- Then click Computer > click Browse button.
- In the Save As dialog box,> click the arrow next to Tools, > General Options.
- Now in the General Options dialog box > check Always create backup option
Steps to Utilize Excel File Recovery Tool:
So, this all about how to recover corrupted Excel file data.
Try the given solutions one by one and check if this helps you to restore corrupted/damaged XLS/XLSX file.
Additionally, Excel is an essential application and used in daily life, so it is recommended to handle the Excel file properly and follow best preventive steps to protect your Excel files from getting corrupted.
Despite it, always recommended to create a valid backup of your crucial Excel data and as well scan your system with a good antivirus program for virus and malware infection.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question