Is your Excel spreadsheet is displaying #REF! error in individual or several cells? Want to know how to fix the Vlookup Invalid Cell Reference Error Message? If yes then read the below tutorial and make use of the given solution to solve the Excel error.
Excel is all about formulas, formulas are the key part of this application. And this is the reason Excel provides various functions and formulas to make the work easy for the users.
But as we all know the fact that Excel is very crucial file and a small mistake can make the entire Excel workbook corrupted or inaccessible. Sometimes while working we place any formula that goes wrong then Excel start displaying errors.
The Excel Invalid Cell reference is one of the error message faced by the users when the Excel workbook can’t properly calculate a formula you enter in the cell.
And in this case, the program starts displaying error values in that cell as soon as you complete the formula entry. The error begins with a number sign (#).
So, here in this article check out the working solutions to fix invalid cell reference error vlookup, but before moving forward check out the possible reasons responsible for the error.
Reasons Behind Getting the Error:
Invalid cell reference error occurs when a spreadsheet formula contains incorrect cell reference. This error mainly comes when:
- By mistakenly data containing row or column gets deleted.
- If a formula has been copied or moved to another cell and the cell reference are incorrect.
- Due to VLOOKUP with inaccurate or faulty range references
- Data used in the formula must get moved, leaving the formula or function with incorrect cell references.
Other Possible Reason responsible for this:
You may have deleted cells that you might have posted those cells that you moved on the pinnacle of cells passed on by added formulas.
It may be that you might have used linking of an object and link embedding (OLE) to a program that is not working anymore.
How to Locate Problem with Formula Reference in Excel?
Well tracking the invalid reference error can be very frustrating as you need to look on several places.
Especially in the formulas that are on worksheets, this is very irritating. But here check out some tricks that help you to easily find the problem with the formula reference in Excel.
- Make use of go to the special dialog box to locate the issue easily. Press F5 > select Special to select to go to the cells that contain errors. And after that, you can use the Tab key for moving amongst the cells that Excel selects.
- Or else you can use the Find tool to find out the possible errors. Press Ctrl + F to display the Find and Replace dialog box and search the (#) Also assure to tell Excel to do the searching within the Formulas.
And check if anything is found to see if it error or not. you can also look for the named ranges defined in the workbook.
Solutions for #REF! – Vlookup Invalid Cell Reference Error
- If error checker is on, then press the button that displays next error and clicks Show Calculation Steps if it emerges. After that go for a declaration that is suitable as per your data.
- Now change the formula or reinstate cells on worksheets by hitting Undo upon Quick Access Toolbar right away your delete or stick cells.
- Start the program that is known for an Object Embedding and Linking (OLE).
- Also check correctly that you make use of correct Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) topic.
- How To Recover Excel From The “Cannot Copy .Xls.” Error Message
- REPAIR EXCEL ERROR “FILE NAME XLS CANNOT BE ACCESSED” ON WINDOWS/MAC
- How To Resolve ‘Excel Cannot Open The File ‘(Filename)’.Xlsx’ Error
- Fix Excel Error “Invalid XLS File Format” On Windows OS
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
Make use of the professional recommended MS Excel Repair Tool that is the best-suited tool to fix damaged, corrupted or inaccessible Excel files. It can restore all the corrupt excel file and helps to restore all corrupted excel file and can recover everything included in the charts, cell comments, worksheet properties and other data. With the help of this tool, users can repair .xlsx and .xls files. With extraordinary attributes, this utility tool is ideal for restoring injured data files from cells and column of the healthier file.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
So this is all about the vlookup invalid cell reference error in Excel
Try the given solutions one by one to fix cell reference error in Excel easily.
Apart from that, you can also make use of the automatic repair utility to fix the error and recover the data stored in it.
Also, we all know how essential Excel application is, so it is important to handle the Excel file properly and follow best preventive steps to protect the Excel files from getting corrupted.
Despite it, always create a valid backup of your Excel data and as well scan your system with good antivirus program for virus and malware infection.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question