While using MS excel are you getting error messages “Can’t insert object”? Are you unable to access or change the properties of any active controls on worksheets? Or while you are trying to refer ActiveX Control as a member of worksheet, you are getting error 438? Then in such cases there are issues with the update of the ActiveX Control patch in Excel. You may be thinking if your excel file is working properly, and then what is the need for this update. This updates are necessary, because it keeps your excel file updated and helps in performing better. If after installing the updated patch, you are facing problem, then it can be fixed by following the steps mentioned below:
- Close all the Office applications.
- In Windows Explorer you have to search for all *.emd files, while doing so, make sure that you have included all hidden system files and folders, and erase the *.emd files.
These file would generally be displayed in the following ways:
- After erasing the file restart your PC.
- Now open the Office apps and test its controls.
You must remember that when you would open your workbook with embedded active control, the.exd files be recreated created again, but it would not cause any issues. In this way the problem would be resolved. If still the problem exists, then it can be fixed with the help of third party application software.
Top Five Scenarios that Cause Corruption in MS Excel File
MS Excel is capable of serving the users who want to keep their record. With the use of its mathematical formula users are able to perform a very small to large calculations very easily. However, this excel file sometimes might become corrupted. Let us have a look at some common scenarios:
- Virus Infection: One of the most common reasons behind the corruption of excel file is the virus infection. Computer virus is a malicious program that is designed in a way that they corrupt file system of your computer or it may damage some saved files as well. If your computer is infected with any such kind of virus then the chances of corruption become higher.
- Improper System Shutdown: Sometimes, your excel file may also become corrupted due to improper system shutdown. However, sometimes reasons like sudden power cut or due to any other reason your computer turns off suddenly and the chances to open MS Excel sheet closes all the opened files improperly during the shutdown.
- Large Size of Excel File: MS Excel file is not a database that can handle and manage a large amount of information. So, if your Excel file is too large in size then the chances of corruption is possible.
- Generation of bad sectors on your data storage device: Some of the data storage devices like external hard drive, local hard drive, pen drive, etc can develop bad sectors. If you have saved your excel sheet in the bad sector then it may get corrupted.
- MS Excel application issues: MS Excel application issues like an unexpected closing of an open Excel sheet or improper closing of an opened file can corrupt MS Excel file.
How to Detect Excel File Corruption
Detecting Excel file corruption is not so difficult for the users. Below mentioned are some of the situations where you can easily detect that the excel file is corrupted and you may no longer able to access it.
- Detected in an Active Workbook: Sometimes, the workbook you are working with, can be corrupted. As for example, while it is loaded in RAM memory. The very first sign would get a warning from AutoRecover. Sometimes, the AutoRecover features fails to save a valid file when you try to create a copy of your workbook on disk. Besides corruption, due to disk write error, the AutoRecover error may take place. So, it becomes very important to save your active workbook. However, a corrupted workbook loaded in memory cannot be saved.
- Excel Crashes Randomly: The most common warning every Excel user faces: “Excel has stopped working” or “Excel has crashed”. If AutoRecover feature is enabled then it becomes very easy to recover the entire workbook. Sometimes, the excel file crashes randomly but they were usually created in other version and migrated and repaired in another version. However, the default repair mechanism may not be 100% successful and a small amount of corrupted material resides insides a corrupted file and as a result, an excel file crashes randomly.
- Detected on File Open: Most of the time, the corrupted files are detected when Excel attempts to open a file. When excel file is corrupted, it will display a corruption and repair warnings like:
- “Excel cannot open the file “, because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.
- “Can’t find project or library. Microsoft Excel is restarting...”
- The workbook cannot be opened or repaired by Microsoft Excel because it is corrupt.
- Multiple custom UI parts were found in the file. Only one part is expected.
Why Do Excel File Become Corrupt
As we all know that MS Excel file is a most widely used application in business organizations. It is compatible with Windows as well as Mac operating systems. It allows you to recognize, calculate data using formulas. It is an application where you can add different data like hyperlinks, tables, unique code, numerical, texts, macros, etc in an excel file. This is very useful for those who want to keep a record of every detail. However, sometimes this excel file gets corrupted due to several reasons. Read below to know why excel file becomes corrupted:
- Virus Attack: The most common way of the excel file corruption is the virus attack. If your system is infected with virus then it is possible that the excel file may become corrupted.
- Sudden System Shutdown: If you suddenly shutdown the system or there is a sudden power failure that turns off your system unexpectedly then there is a chance that opened excel file may get corrupted.
- Large size file: When you store excess data in your excel file then it can result in the file corruption. It is always suggested not to store data in a large size so that it becomes corrupted.
- Hard Disk Failure: If the hard disk of the system has failed or there are some bad sectors on it where the excel file is stored then there are high chances of getting the file corrupted.
About Microsoft Excel Repair Tool
Have you ever found an excel file that has been corrupted or become inaccessible and so you are unable to use or open it? If you don’t have backup of an excel file then it would be very irritating for you.
Microsoft Excel Repair Tool is a special tool which is specifically designed to repair such kind of files so that one can easily continue to work in that file. This repair tool searches for .xls file in the folder specified by the user. The file which is found to be corrupted will create a preview in the Excel Repair window. The interface is very simple, with a large tool bar of buttons to add files or folder to the application. With this software, you can repair your corrupted excel file. It can easily restore all corrupt excel file and also recover everything which includes cell comments, charts, worksheet properties and other related data. The corrupted excel file can be restored to a new blank excel file. It has the ability to recover the complete data from the file and restore them even without modifying original formatting.
Features of Microsoft Excel Repair Tool:
Following are the most common and useful features of Microsoft Excel Repair Tool:
- Provides Easy Repair: This software helps you to reduce hassles when your excel workbook becomes corrupted or damaged. If your excel file shows some error pop-up while you try to save your worksheet in excel then it is sure that your excel file is corrupted. Using this tool, you can easily repair a batch of excel files in just few seconds.
- Recover everything without a problem: This repair tool is specifically designed to recover each and every object of your excel file without having a single problem with the layout or formatting. One can easily restore formatting of the charts, user defined charts, shared formulas, properties of worksheet generating formulas, texts, rules, etc.
- Recover worksheet with properties: Using this useful tool, one can easily repair Windows excel file and restore all the original properties of the workbook.
- Simple and consistent UI: This software features a standard explorer-styled user interface which makes it very easy task to browse and navigate.
- Resolve all excel corruption errors: This repair tool works at all instances of worksheet corruption errors in excel. You can also fix large number of error messages which takes place due to corruption.
- Real-time pre-recovery preview of excel file: With the use of this software, it becomes very easy to preview the repaired excel file objects in the main interface. With the verification of excel data before recovery, you can gather the benefits of real-time pre-recovery function.
- Files and Folders Selection: You can easily select or find a specific MS Excel file from your system with the options “Find File” or “Select File“. Using this tool, one can also go for multiple selections from the list of files to repair.
Steps to fix broken ActiveX Controls in Microsoft Excel on Windows/Mac
Step 1: To start the process, download and install MS Excel repair Tool and then select “OK” button.
Step 2: By clicking on “Select file”button, select the corrupt .xls or .xlsx file. In order to search a .xls or .xlsx file in specific folder click on “Select folder”. In a particular drive in order to search a .xls or .xlsx file click on the “Search file” button.
Step 3: After selecting the corrupt file click on “Scan” button to begin the scanning process.
Step 4: You can see the scanning process is in progress
Step 5: After the scanning is finished, you can preview your corrupt file from the right panel.
Step 6: Hit on the “repair” button to begin the repair process.
Step 7: Select the desired location to save the repaired excel file and after that hit on “OK”.
So in this way, using the above-mentioned steps you can easily repair and recover your excel file with MS Excel Repair Tool.
Tips To Repair Excel File On Your Own
It is recommended that apply manual repair method to fix Excel corruption and if you get unsuccessful then go with any other repair tool. Apply the below-given carefully to repair damaged MS Excel File.
At very first close MS Excel application and re-open it. Try to open the affected file.
If you are unable to open the affected file then, reboot your computer and open MS Excel. Try to open the file again.
If you are still unable to open the file then, delete the contents of your C:\windows\temp directory then restart your computer. Try to open the affected file.
If the affected file is still inaccessible then apply the below given trick:
Click on the Start button-> Open run dialogue box and type-
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe” /s
After it, try to open the file again
Are you unable to open the file again? It is suggested to scan the file for possible virus infection. Make sure that your macro heuristics scanning option is set to on.
After completion of scan if no virus has been found then, rename the file name and replace the .xls extension with .doc extension. After it, try to open the file with Word.
If all the above given tricks failed to open the corrupt excel file then try another trick:
Try to copy the damaged excel file to another location
- If file you are unable to copy it to another location, then the actual there is a chance that the sectors on the disk may be damaged
- If the data is very important, then it is suggested to go for any professional service