While using MS Excel are you getting error messages “Can’t insert object”? Are you unable to access or change the properties of any active controls on worksheets? Or while you are trying to refer ActiveX Control as a member of a worksheet, you are getting error 438? Then in such cases, there are issues with the update of the ActiveX Control patch in Excel. You may be thinking if your excel file is working properly, and then what is the need for this update. These updates are necessary because it keeps your Excel file updated and helps in performing better. If after installing the updated patch, you are facing a problem, then it can be fixed by following the steps mentioned in this article.
Causes Of Excel File Corruption
MS Excel is capable of serving the users who want to keep their record. With the use of its mathematical formula users are able to perform a very small to large calculations very easily. However, this excel file sometimes might become corrupted. Let us have a look at some common scenarios:
- Virus Infection: One of the most common reasons behind the corruption of Excel file is the virus infection. A computer virus is a malicious program that is designed in a way that they corrupt file system of your computer or it may damage some saved files as well. If your computer is infected with any such kind of virus then the chances of corruption become higher.
- Improper System Shutdown: Sometimes, your excel file may also become corrupted due to improper system shutdown. However, sometimes reasons like sudden power cut or due to any other reason your computer turns off suddenly and the chances to open MS Excel sheet Closes all the opened files improperly during the shutdown.
- Large Size of Excel File: MS Excel file is not a database that can handle and manage a large amount of information. So, if your Excel file is too large in size then the chances of corruption is possible.
- Generation of bad sectors on your data storage device: Some of the data storage devices like external hard drive, local hard drive, pen drive, etc can develop bad sectors. If you have saved your Excel sheet in the bad sector then it may get corrupted.
- MS Excel application issues: MS Excel application issues like an unexpected closing of an open Excel sheet or improper closing of an opened file can corrupt MS Excel file.
Repair Broken ActiveX Controls in Microsoft Excel
#1: Search the EMD Files
- Close all the Office applications.
- In Windows Explorer, you have to search for all *.emd files, while doing so, make sure that you have included all hidden system files and folders, and erase the *.emd files.
This file would generally be displayed in the following ways:
- After erasing the file restart your PC.
- Now open the Office apps and test its controls.
You must remember that when you would open your workbook with embedded active control, the.exd files be recreated created again, but it would not cause any issues. In this way, the problem would be resolved. If still, the problem exists, then it can be fixed with the help of third party application software.
#2: Recover Data from Temp Files
It is recommended that apply manual repair method to fix Excel corruption and if you get unsuccessful then go with any other repair tool. Apply the below-given carefully to repair damaged MS Excel File.
At very first close MS Excel application and re-open it. Try to open the affected file.
If you are unable to open the affected file then, reboot your computer and open MS Excel. Try to open the file again.
If you are still unable to open the file then, delete the contents of your C:\windows\temp directory then restart your computer. Try to open the affected file.
If the affected file is still inaccessible then apply the below-given trick:
Click on the Start button-> Open run dialogue box and type-
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe” /s
After it, try to open the file again
Are you unable to open the file again? It is suggested to scan the file for possible virus infection. Make sure that your macro heuristics scanning option is set to on.
After completion of the scan if no virus has been found then, rename the file name and replace the .xls extension with the .doc extension. After it, try to open the file with Word.
If all the above-given tricks failed to open the corrupt excel file then try another trick:
Try to copy the damaged excel file to another location
- If file you are unable to copy it to another location, then the actual there is a chance that the sectors on the disk may be damaged
- If the data is very important, then it is suggested to go for any professional service
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
Microsoft Excel Repair Tool is a special tool which is specifically designed to repair such kind of files so that one can easily continue to work in that file. This repair tool searches for .xls file in the folder specified by the user. The file which is found to be corrupted will create a preview in the Excel Repair window. The interface is very simple, with a large toolbar of buttons to add files or folder to the application. With this software, you can repair your corrupted Excel file. It can easily restore all corrupt excel file and also recover everything which includes cell comments, charts, worksheet properties and other related data. The corrupted excel file can be restored to a new blank Excel file. It has the ability to recover the complete data from the file and restore them even without modifying original formatting.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
Hope the after following the given solution you are able to fix the ActiveX Controls in Microsoft Excel. Make use of the given solution to fix the error and start using the Excel file without any hassle.