Microsoft Excel has become an important part of any business this helps companies to manage their crucial data easily. It gives the businesses to make the most of their data and maximizes the return on investment. This makes the importance of data more apparent. Larger firms collect larger volumes of data from multiple sources, including online sales, social media, and in-store-transactions. They need to be able to collate and analyze this information quickly and effectively. But there are many cases when the excel files get corrupted and start showing errors. Here in this article know how to resolve Excel error “An error occurred when sending commands to the program”
Symptoms of the MS Excel Error:
Follow different symptoms of the MS Excel error.
- The Excel workbook is trying to access data from another application which is still active.
- A lot of Excel add-ins has been added to the program, or any one of the add-ins has become corrupt.
- In this case, you have to follow any one of the following actions:
- Activate a button that was created by a third-party add-in or application
- Try to open an embedded object
- Save or open a file
- Try to use the Send as Attachment option
- Call another application from the Excel workbook.
You may also like:
- Fix Excel Error “Problem Sending The Command To The Program” On Windows 8/7
- Fix Microsoft Excel Error Code 0x800A03EC
- Repair KB00804 – VBA Errors in Microsoft Excel?
- How to Repair Runtime Error 1004 in Excel
This error occurs when some process is running inside Excel, which is not allowing the Excel to close. This error occurs due to many possible reasons. In order to fix the problem, you have to do some manual steps that are mentioned below.
Step 1: Reset file associations
In order to check whether the file associations are performing correctly in the system, in this case, you have to reset the Excel file associations to its default settings. For this, you have to perform the following steps in your operating system.
For Windows 8 Operating System
- Type Control Panel on the Start screen,
- You can tap or select the Control Panel.
- Select the Default Programs, and then selectSet your default programs.
- Select Excel, and then select Choose default for this program.
- On the Set Program Associations screen, select Select All, and then select Save.
For Windows 7 Operating System
- Select Start, and then select Control Panel >Select Default Programs.
- And choose to Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program.
- Next, select Microsoft Excel Worksheet, and then Select change program.
- Under Recommended Programs, Select Microsoft Excel.
- If Excel does not appear in this list, click on Browse and locate the Excel installation folder, Select exe, and then select Excel.
If still, you are facing this error then follow the step mentioned below:
Step 2: You should Ignore the DDE
If you have selected the option to Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box in Excel then you may face the problem.
A dynamic data exchange (DDE) message is automatically sent to Excel when you double-click an Excel workbook in Windows Explorer. The message instructs the Excel to open the workbook when you double-click it.
Once you select the “Ignore” option, then Excel ignores the DDE messages which were sent to it by other programs. Excel does not open the workbook when you double-clicked and the Windows Explorer has ignored the DDE message which is sent to excel.
This setting can be corrected by following the steps mentioned below:
- From the Tools menu, select Options.
- Then select the General
- Clear the Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box, and then click OK.
If still, you are facing this issue then it can be resolved by using MS Excel Repair Tool.
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
MS Excel Repair Tool is a professional recommended solution to easily repair both .xls & .xlsx file. It supports several files in one repair cycle. It is a unique tool that can repair multiple corrupted excel file at one time and also recover everything included charts, cell comments, worksheet properties and other data. This can recover the corrupt excel file to a new blank file. It is extremely easy to use and supports both Windows as well as Mac operating system.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
Follow the given solutions one by one to fix the Excel error.
I tried my best to put together the entire working solution to fix error sending commands to program error in Excel.
Despite it, always create a valid backup of your Excel data and as well scan your system with good antivirus program for virus and malware infection.
If, in case you have any additional questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments section below or you can also visit our Repair MS Excel Ask Question