Summary: In this article, I am discussing the common CSV files problems and a list of easy solutions to recover Excel CSV format.
Corruption of the Excel file is a common problem whether your Excel file is in CSV format or any other. Excel is highly prone to corruption.
In many of my earlier article I have described how to repair corrupt Excel file and today I am describing how to fix CSV file corruption and recover CSV file.
There are several factors due to which the CSV file gets corrupted and as a result, the entire data stored in it become inaccessible or lost. Well, this is a very irritating situation, so here I will explore what causes CSV file corruption, common CSV import errors and solutions to recover Excel CSV file format.
Let’s get started…
What is CSV File?
CSV stands for Comma Separated Values, this is file format used for storing alphanumeric tabular structure data in plain text format.
These files contain data records and each file is a collection of two or more fields separated by commas. The CSV files can be imported or exported from software programs like Excel or Open office calc, that store data in row and column structure.
Causes of CSV File Corruption
There are many factors including invalid formatting, utilizing invalid characters, line breaks within fields, and others. Here check out some of the common ones:
- Commonly due to invalid CSV file format
- Due to the ASCII control non-printer characters such as CR or LF at the end of the line.
- The CSV files contain separator characters in the text
- In the fields, line breaks given without enclosing with double quotes.
- Utilizing the invalid characters such as a hyphen, Asterisks, parentheses, colon, and others.
- Due to long numbers with leading zeros.
- When the CSV file is without UTS 8 encoding.
And to overcome the corrupted Excel CSV file follow the below given manual methods to repair and recover corrupted CSV files easily.
How to Fix Corrupted CSV Excel Files Issues
Well, to fix Excel CSV file corruption you need to follow different solutions given here, so start following them one by one:
Fix 1: Use Unicode UTF-8 Encoding
Very firstly check whether your CSV file is in UTF -8 encoding or not.
Follow the steps to make your CSV file UTF -8 encoding:
- Open your CSV file > click File > Save As
- Type the file name > and from the drop-down choose to Save as File Type CSV
- Click Tools > go to Web options
- Then go to Encoding under Save this document as
- And select Unicode (UTF-8)
You May Also Read:
- Learn Ways to Fix Excel File Slow To Respond Issues with Bonus Tips
- 4 Working Solutions to Fix Excel XLSM Files Won’t Open In Excel 2013 Issue
- 7 Working Solutions to Fix Excel Opening Files To A Blank Screen
Fix 2: Try Some Specific Solutions
Check some of the possible solutions that work for you to repair corrupted CSV file.
- Check whether you are getting import error message “line 1 has too many columns…”, then create new CSV file with data in 14 columns using Excel, Notepad++ or other apps for recovering CSV data
- If getting the foreign characters missing or corrupted error message then utilizes Google sheets, or Open Office, Libre Office, Notepad++ advance apps to fix corrupted CSV file.
Check if you are getting the issue because if utilizing ASCII control or extra delimiters characters, then follow below tricks:
- Check and delete spaces at end of the file.
- From corrupted CSV file fix extra commas by deleting extra delimiter characters that separate handler fields and recover file data.
Fix 3: Recover using Autorecover Feature
You can make use of the Microsoft Excel Autorecover feature to repair the corrupted CSV file. To make use of it open spreadsheet and check for the AutoRecover Window > here check the screen that has a list and from here choose the desired file.
But first, you need to assure AutoRecover feature is enable state.
Related Article: How to Fix Excel AutoRecover Not Working Issue
Fix 4: Recover CSV file using TMP File
Commonly the windows system creates a Temporary file, and this helps you to recover lost CSV file.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Go to the Temp file folder : C:UsersAppDataLocalMicrosoftOfficeUnsavedFiles
- Now search Excel file with the.TMP extension
- And choose the exact one by verifying data
- Lastly, copy and paste or save it to the different destination using.CSV extension.
Hope this works for you to fix CSV file corruption.
Fix 5: Recover from a Previous Version
This solution is helpful when the CSV files are saved over or replaced.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Open the corrupted CSV file > right click on it
- Choose Properties > click Previous Versions
- Now select the last version before save/replace
- And click Restore (make sure restore points are enabled)
Hope the given manual solutions works for you to repair the CSV files. However, you can also make use of the automatic repair solution to fix CSV file corruption and recover Excel CSV file.
Automatic Solution: MS Excel Repair Tool
It is recommended to make use of the MS Excel Repair Tool, this is the best tool to repair all sort of issues, corruption, errors in Excel workbooks. This is the best tool that just by scanning once detect and fixes various errors in Excel file and repair and recover damaged, corrupted or even inaccessible Excel file as well. It is a unique tool to repair multiple Excel files at one repair cycle and recovers the entire data in a preferred location. It is easy to use and compatible with both Windows as well as Mac operating system.
Steps to Utilize MS Excel Repair Tool:
The Way Forward:
So, this is all about the Excel CSV files corruption and ways to fix them.
Follow the five tested solutions to repair the CSV file and recover the data stored in it. Try the given solutions one by one, however, sometimes the manual solutions fail to rebuild data from CSV file.
Then, in this case, it is worth to make use of the professional automatic tool to recover CSV files and recover deleted, overwritten, corrupted CSV file.
Apart from that Excel is a very crucial file so it is very important to handle it properly and backup your important data to avoid data loss situation.
In case you have any additional workarounds that proved successful or questions concerning the ones presented, do tell us in the comments or you can visit the Repair MS Excel Ask Question